Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding to DC

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Riding to DC

This coming weekend I'll be taking a ride to Washington, DC, just for the hell of it, take in all the sights, etc. I'll be staying Thursday and Friday night. I don't know the area, and I was wondering if anyone has stayed down there, what areas to avoid (as far as the hotel), ,and possibly a decent priced hotel there? I'm not looking for luxury - a clean bed and a hot shower is good enough for me, but I don't want it to be a complete sh1thole or in a bad area either.

Has anyone stayed there before and got any tips?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the areas in DC where you would want to stay will be VERY expensive. Conversely, if you find an affordably priced hotel in DC, it's almost certain to be in a neighborhood you don't want to park your bike (or probably be in at all).

I's suggest looking for lodging in the immediate area. Vienna or Fairfax, VA are both 30 minutes (or less) from DC, and you can find decent lodging there without paying an arm and a leg for it. Similarly, some of the Maryland suburbs to the north (Rockville, Gaithersburg) provide easy access to DC with decent lodging.

Matt

Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to look at Reston / Herndon area also...yeah it's close to dullas but it's not to bad,
don't forget Great Falls park...nice relaxing park where the potomac "creates" a funnel and a little gorge...
Be a little break from all the traffic.
If your coming from Dubois area make sure you stop by Shanksville and say hello to flight 93 memorial too

Last edited by katobird; 08-18-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:20 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Since I live in the area I would suggest finding a hotel near a metro station outside the 95 / 450 beltway around the city. The hotels will be fine and you can take metro into the city verses driving your bike. Check out this link with metro for locations. If you want to drive into the city. On the weekends there is plenty of parking if you get in early. Coming from PA the Maryland side of the city has lots of hotels but the closer you get to the city the more you will pay.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

Enjoy the ride!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always stayed in Crystal City near the Pentagon.
Prices are cheaper then DC and you can ride the metro where ever you want. Parking and driving in DC is painful.

From there you can see the pentagon, first stop on the metro is Arlington Cemetry, pick up a metro map. From the 'Mall' as they call it and it's not for shopping but a big open field you can walk to all the good places. You need to see the WWII memorial, the newest and best in my opinion. I spend a whole day just seeing stuff around the mall area. The Marriot in Crystal City has the metro in the basement. Not cheap but then nothing around there is.

Last edited by CruzN; 08-16-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Border Cop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent a week in DC during the the 4th of July and stayed in Fairfax, VA at the Marriott. We payed 59 a night, and the metro was not to far away. Bunch of free parking along the river between the Lincoln Memorial and Jefferson Memorial, specially for bikes. Weekend parking should be no problem. Have fun, lots of stuff to see.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gentlemen, thank you much for the advice. The trip is going to be pushed back a week, mostly because it's going to be raining through the weekend, and secondly because my time off and my son's time off finally coincides, and he's coming down for a visit. I'll definitely put the advice to good use next week though! Thanks!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Call Marriott and check on rates in Pentagon City and Arlington, VA

As CruzN says, going into D.C. itself is kinda nuts...the traffic sucks and the parking is generally non-existent.

Check out Key Bridge Marriott and the hotels in Virginia. You can park your ride in the underground parking garage and take the metro into D.C. - its a lot safer both for your ride as well as for you.

If you're looking for local dealers, though, Patriot Harley is out in Fairfax, and they have a really nice shop - good to stop by even if you're just lookin'. The NRA national museum is out in Fairfax, and if you are a shooter, it is not to be missed.

Lots to see, especially on the Mall, spend some time online and you'll find more to do than you have time to include.

Big issue in downtown D.C. is parking however. Its an issue best avoided - by leaving your ride safely at your hotel. Just sayin'

Have fun.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 PM
capman98
Cruiser

The metro is deffinetly the best way to get in and out of DC, unless it's ROLLING THUNDER WEEKEND. as far as things to see you have to decide what is most important to you. American history, ainchiant history, dinasaurs, war memorials, THE HAULOCAUST museum. there is so much stuff to see i have been there a dozen times and never done it all. The best HD dealer in the area IMO is Annapolis HD. just a short ride out of DC it's right off RT 50 just before Annopolis. Huge shop and they keep more bikes in stock than I have ever seen. ALSO, and this is just a side note, Jimmy Buffett is playing a concert sat. night at an outdoor arena called Nissan Pavillion. just outside DC in VA. I am going and I think there is still tickets available. have a good trip.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM
codered11343
Intermediate

As someone that lives in DC, my best advice is to look for a hotel/motel outside the DC line. If you don't mind a ride into DC or to a metro stop, check the Gaithersburg area. Its a pretty good area and i don't think you will have too much trouble with worrying about your bike around there.

You can ride your bike around DC, but I don't like to because almost all the time, the traffic is horrible!! Just keep your eyes open around this area, traffic is bad almost everyday but the weekend shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck and be safe!!

Quick Reply: Riding to DC