Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

tail of the dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tail of the dragon

rode the dragon deal's gap, tenn(318 curves in 11 miles) last week as well as the cherohala skyway and also the devils triangle(rt. 116). I felt the dragon was overated and enjoyed the devils triangle more. The traffic was light on the dragon and only seen one leo. had good weather which made the ride more enjoyable. there were many sportbikes about and a large number of cruisers. I was riding 2 up with another group of riders and we had a good time and highly recommend the ride if you are in that area of tennessee.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with you there... Did the Dragon a few months ago - The whole way down we were thinking "Dragon - Dragon - Dragon" and then after we got there (early in the day) and rode through - Then just kept on riding for a few hundred miles of those wonderful mountain roads (the BRS, Cherohala, etc.), the Dragon, in hindsight, was sort of a drag...

Don't get me wrong - It was certainly unique and "exciting" I suppose, to some extent (although I have to admit, around halfway through, I was thinking "what sort of idiot thought it would be a good idea to make a road like this?"

"Been there, bought the t-shirt" - Literally. No doubt, everyone who goes down there should do it "just to do it." But don't waste too much time on it - There are some seriously wonderful roads down there that you really don't want to miss.

(TOTD 2009: PHOTOS and BLOG entry)

Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

318 curves in 11 miles.....IT IS WHAT IT IS....Staying in Knoxville...Got out early,2 guys-2 bikes...did the Dragon(Dry-Nice 75)...ready for the Cherohala.... Buds bike breaks down in Robinsville,Have to leave bike...Only way back to Knoxville is Dragon,1 bike 2up(Wet-Cool-DARK!!!!)..Next day...back to get bike thru Dragon(Cool-Damp-TIRED)Anyway being from Chicago ANYTHING is better and i was glad i did it..3 times in 2 days...Maybe NOT..But Glad its there and we have the option!!!I think some guys find it a little stressful,especially if you are 2 up...and it is more of a challenge for me anyway for sure...Did i enjoy other parts more,simply put YES!!!! Because i enjoy fast-open-sweeping curves(With a view)..EACH to his own...God Bless this BEAUTIFUL Country...Just wish i'd of settled a little closer to that region....Isn't it nice that we have the choice of sayin.....Been there,done that,I WILL/WONT go back....WHATS NEXT..........Ride Safe.Hope to meet you at my next short rest stop!!!!... R.W.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 477 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
I'm with you there... Did the Dragon a few months ago - The whole way down we were thinking "Dragon - Dragon - Dragon" and then after we got there (early in the day) and rode through - Then just kept on riding for a few hundred miles of those wonderful mountain roads (the BRS, Cherohala, etc.), the Dragon, in hindsight, was sort of a drag...

Don't get me wrong - It was certainly unique and "exciting" I suppose, to some extent (although I have to admit, around halfway through, I was thinking "what sort of idiot thought it would be a good idea to make a road like this?"

"Been there, bought the t-shirt" - Literally. No doubt, everyone who goes down there should do it "just to do it." But don't waste too much time on it - There are some seriously wonderful roads down there that you really don't want to miss.

Exactly!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 AM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain

I just got back 2 days ago. Spent 7 days at the ridge in Robinsville.
Put about 2500 miles on total. A lot of nice riding. Rode the dragon a couple times but not clost to being the nicest ride. I can say more so for the experience and tee shirt.
Probably saw a few of you down there.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip

I would have to agree...There are much better roads down there than the tail of the dragon. We were on one road down there I think they call it the little dragon...on Highway 28 North from Franklin to Stecoah...that just blew the the dragon away.

Last edited by Road Ranger; 08-11-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 AM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it too during the 4th of July weekend on a Fly-n-Ride - north-to-south and south-to-north. Now I can say "been there, done that", but the OTHER roads in the area were just terrific and "the dragon" is only a tiny part of what that area has to offer riders.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 AM
gunnert
Road Captain

I agree with the "once you've done it..." comments but with the caveat of on a Harley. We made our third trip to the Dragon (stayed at Fontana Village for 5 days) last summer and rode the GT. Adds a whole new view point when you're on a bike designed for twisties. The Dragon is a little too much work on a big Harley to be fun. Just my .02 worth.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Javawave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading down there Friday to ride it ourselves. I am looking forward to it.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The "Dragon" has gotten the populatity by folks like "Killboy" who have marketed a decent road in their area, to the world. People come from all over the world to ride it because of the hype. I know I took my wife and daughter on it, I felt like the road was extremely dangerous due to that same hype and will never ride it again. There are so many roads just as good and in many cases a lot better to ride in that part of the country with a lot less danger and law enforcement. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: tail of the dragon