Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

tail of the dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 AM
tgshoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find roads just like the dragon or better all over eastern Kentucky, WVA, western VA, western NC, and eastern TN. The dragon is only one road among many but I guess there has to be a destination just don't spend all your time there.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 AM
pitchw
Intermediate

I too was down there weekend before last and we did the dragon Saturday 8/1. Weather was nice with alot of sport bikes, but had a good time. Nice grill at Deals Gap also and had a long line. After dragon, went over to the skyway and wow what a nice ride and scenery. Had a little scare coming back from Tenn. side when a LEO pulled the light as we passed and after the next turn or two found a little one-lane wooded side road (paved) and ducked down in there for a few minutes. Getting a little too old for the duck and run. Not sure if he turned around or just pulled the light to send me a message. Must have been about 10 or 15 over on a unusual straitaway section with guardrail oneside and mountain side on the other.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

I must have been bumping elbows with other forumites in that Deals gap store. I can't believe how many people have said they were there the same day I was. We should have had a forum get together at the grill or something.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a bad stretch of road in that area I have not been able to find it, even the interstates are interesting. This year I mapped out some back roads from Murphy, NC to the top of the Natchez Trace Parkway just south of Nashville. I wasn’t trying for anything special, just wanted to avoid interstates and picked roads that ran in the general direction I wanted to go without going too far out of the way.

It turned out to be one of the most memorable 4 or so hour rides I have ever taken. Next year I’m going to spend more time in Tennessee.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser

Have to agree with your assessment on the Dragon, but like others have said what a beautiful place to ride.... Love the Skyway, the Cross Roads of Time and Hell Bender, who could forget the waterfall you can drive under (Can't remember the name..)

Old 08-11-2009, 11:38 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my first experience with the Dragon...
I bought my first touring bike two an a half weeks ago. Rode it up to the dragon three days later, even though I wasn't properly acquainted with the bike yet. I was really pumped and took the first hard curve WAY TOO FAST!!! I almost ate it hard, so I was pretty rattled for the next 10 miles. Turned around and did the 11 mile return trip at around 25 mph (I would later refer to myself as "the snail of the dragon") Like someone else said, it's almost too much work on a big harley to be fun. I was way more excited about blue ridge parkway........but inclimate weather and hazardous road conditions forced us to exit at junction 19 north and up to northern PA to visit my inlaws. What little part of BRP I did see led me to believe that it is more fun than the dragon, though less technical. Now that I'm getting my "sea legs" on the road king though, I may have to challange the dragon to a rematch!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member

Ridden Dragon a few times and it's fine. Each time was with a touring bike - Road King or E-Glide Classic.

Rode the Cherahola once. It is way more fun to ride because most of the curves are sweeping type and not as hard to manuever.

LOTS of back roads leading to these areas that are just as good, if not better as others have said.

Rode part of the BRP last year. Learned real quick that sunglasses going into tunnels is a BAD IDEA!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain

We have ridin the Dragon 4 times in the past 3 years, but that is NOT the goal of each trip.

Our goal is to ride the roads of the Smokie Mountains each trip. We do the dragon up/back and really enjoy the other roads more.

For a real fun time with twisties, try
* Hell bender (rt 28) from Deals Gap resort all the way
down to Dillard Georgia (eat at the Dillard House)
* War Women Road (I don't recall the route number)
* Wayah Road (Again, I don't recall the route number)
* The Snake (rt 421)

For fFun Sweepers with great views, try
* Cherohalla Skyway
* Foothills parkway
* Blue Ridge Parkway

All great roads and there are TONS more -

Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Dustydog
Intermediate

A bud and I are going up on 8/20.

Thanks for all the post. It gives us some options for riding other roads in the area.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser

If you are new to the area or even if you are not, here are some rides you may want to consider Thank you Ray from the oRg for these suggested routes.

To Helen GA....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2&ie=UTF8&z=10

Bridal Veil Falls...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.881653&z=11

Suches and Blood Mountain...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.763306&z=10

Cherohala Parkway, TN-360, Dragon Loop...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.881653&z=11

Tail of The Dragon, Foothills Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN, Cherokee NC and return to Robbinsbville...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.763306&z=10

To Tellico Plains TN, Ducktown TN, Nanthahala Gorge NC, and return...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.763306&z=10[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: tail of the dragon