Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

sturgis pics bike survived

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

WOW.....Now ive got to bring an armored suit with next year...how the heck am i going to pack that!!!!.....Looking at the bright side guess there wasn't any shortage of ice cubes!!!!.Note to self...Only soft sided luggage!!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Mam 0 man, what a deal. That must have hammered alot of bikes and cars etc. glad you are OK

Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Bobzilla
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the full throttle saloon is only about a mile or 2 from the chip I cant imagine what that was like must have 2 acre parking lot full of bikes all week long

Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left Friday at Noon and headed to Billings where I skirted around most of the storm clouds until the rain nailed me right at billings. My buds were 2 hours behind me and got the hail at the midway point along 212. Other friends were calling to see if we got through and then told us how bad the hail was with many trailers, bikes, RV's and people hammered. Your pictures put it in perspective. Hope you bike survived and glad you were able to get shelter. Many didn't fair so well from what I heard?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW! Yeah one of my buddies (a forum member here) called me and said his 5th wheel trailer got thrashed and the hail barrage bashed out the windows of his pick-up truck. He guessed $50k damage. But his bike and family was OK.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Spent 35 years as a firefighter - got into some interesting situations... all any person can do in a situation like you describe... keep your head and just do the best you can to survive... Panic has hurt a lot of people and some people just cannot think in a really bad situation... I did my first coast to coast last April.. lots of road time out in the middle of No Where USA - tornado country and we had them all around us,,, never saw one but we talked on what to do IF we came upon one on the open road... Hail now will be our next talk... Duck and Cover and hope someone in a Cage stops to offer better cover... In looking at some of the Ice ***** here - better do something to keep the head and face proctected... Its gonna hurt - get ready..

I know with all the riders in the area... there had to be some on the highways when this storm hit... Would love to hear 'first person' stories of how they delt with this storm... Great learning material for all of us that ride... I got caught in a hail storm at the top of the Sacramento MT going from White Sands NM to Carlsbad several years ago but it was NOTHING compared to what you delt with... I sure hope the owners of the trailer are understanding... **** happens.. Just that one picture tells the whole story... Thanks for taking time to share.. Anything else ANYONE who was there that will share will help all of us for the 'next time'

Last edited by harley0711; 08-10-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Bobzilla
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harley0711
Spent 35 years as a firefighter - got into some interesting situations... all any person can do in a situation like you describe... keep your head and just do the best you can to survive... Panic has hurt a lot of people and some people just cannot think in a really bad situation... I did my first coast to coast last April.. lots of road time out in the middle of No Where USA - tornado country and we had them all around us,,, never saw one but we talked on what to do IF we came upon one on the open road... Hail now will be our next talk... Duck and Cover and hope someone in a Cage stops to offer better cover... In looking at some of the Ice ***** here - better do something to keep the head and face proctected... Its gonna hurt - get ready..
never Gave hail much thought until now the **** was bouncing of off a table between the 2 trailers and coming in under the awning and just pummeling me it finally let up a bit and i knocked that fu##@@ table over before the next big bash the awning was holding up for a little while but man it started to thrash **** was comming in wow will never forget that trying to keep the bike covered with the blanketswind howling and the wife peeking out the door saying all the vents are broken what should I do what a rush

Old 08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That trailor trashed and I actualy mean both of them insurance company will love you good thing you have the pics. Matter of fact that storm is pushing through here now in Oklahoma. Thank God there is no hail with it. Sorry for your damage hope everything works out for you.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I enjoy reading the real life stories of things just like your experenced.... If you look back at major accidents in our country - 9/11 and such... People who can think on their feet have a much better chance of getting out - there are those that just can't do it and it an emergency - moments can mean the difference between life and death... Remeber the movie with Mel Gibson.. We were Soldiers?? Story of LtCol Hal Moore

Below is a quote from him... This type of thinking is what seems to helped you get through the 28 min... You did not give up - you fought for what you believed in - your bike... I am not trying to be silly here... keeping a cool head and remembering "there is always one more thing you can do" It keeps your brain working to get OUT... Same thoughts are needed out on the road... Being on a bike at 70+ MPH - we have to keep our heads up and alert or we will not last long... You did good, thanks for sharing.

Hal Moore’s first principle of leadership is simple: Three strikes and you’re not out! The corollary principle which is inter-reactive with that one is: There is always one more thing you can do to influence any situation in your favor. And after that, one more. And after that, one more.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 PM
catracho
Road Captain

Wow!! Thank God you and your family are Ok!

Quick Reply: sturgis pics bike survived