Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Idaho, Washington, Oregon tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM
hoosierbagman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idaho, Washington, Oregon tips needed

Hey, everybody! I'm planning a trip to Idaho, Washington, and Oregon (only three states that I've never been in).
Gonna drive out in the motorhome and trailer the bike. EVERYONE PLEASE CALM DOWN NOW!! I am taking the wife, dogs, blah-blah-blah and riding the bike out ain't gonna happen no matter HOW bad you try to make me feel! We just completed a 10-day round trip to the Black Hills on the bike, 3500 miles. This trip just has to be different.

If this works out, we will be leaving within a week, so I think the weather is still gonna be fairly good in the mountains.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips on must-see places, must-drive roads, even places to avoid, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Ride Safe and Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 PM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A couple of places that offer post card views would be a trip up the Columbia River Gorge, either on Hwy 84 in Oregon or Hwy 14 in Washington. Best to be heading east unless you enjoy riding into a strong headwind. Another good ride is up Hwy 101 on the west side of Hood Canal. Nice twisty road right along the water. Either ride has many small seaside type towns to stop in. If you go Hwy 14, take a turn on SR 142 to the tiny town of Klickitat. Have dinner at a place there called Huntington's. It's not hard to find as there is only 2 buildings in the town. It doesn't look like much, but I guarantee you will have one of the best steaks you've ever had. After you leave there keep heading up the Klickitat Canyon for a fun little ride.

EDIT: Forgot to tell ya, when you get home, make sure you tell everybody it rained everyday you were here.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM
hoosierbagman
Advanced

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Hey, everybody! I'm planning a trip to Idaho, Washington, and Oregon (only three states that I've never been in)."

Well you have you saved the best for last.
Here is a link to a map that lets you hit all three states starting in Lewiston ID through Clarkston WA south on Rattle Snake Pass for some real Twisties into Enterprise OR and Joseph OR and into Hells Canyon and back to Lewiston.Also If you are traveling from the east head south at Miissoula MT to hwy 12 Lolo pass into Lewiston its a must see with lots of great camping spots along the river.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...668,4.927368&z=
Another must see is the North Cascade NP HWY 20 through Winthrop and west to Mt Vernon WA .

Last edited by skydrifter; 08-10-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

This is not a cut on the state at all, but whatever you do avoid Portland I-5 traffic, no matter the time of day. It is brutal. Sorry for no "Must sees", but the coastal route on 101 is gorgeous in general. The coast of Oregon is fantastic.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Not sure of highway numbers, but the road to Wallowa Lake in NE Oregon has some pretty country for a scenic ride. Also at Wallowa Lake, there is a camp grounds so you might be able to park your motorhome there and ride around and see the sights. The roads up there are mostly 2 lane but there sure is some pretty countryside to see. I'm not real sure if it is open, it's been a long time since I've been up there, but at Wallowa Lake, they used to have a lift that would take you up to the top of a mountain where you could see forever. that might be of interest to your family. Around Joseph, that is on the way to Wallowa, there are some nice shops and some great looking mountains to look at. I think that the Wallowa country is some of the prettiest country in NE Oregon. Good luck

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM
riden2low
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A two up for the Oregon Coast. If you get as far as Brookings Oregon, there is a pan cake house just as you leave heading South for the Calif. state line. Darn good breakfast place. Oh further up the Coast around Lincoln City, there is a little spot in the road called Otis. A post office and a gas station. Now there is a small eating place across the street that I hear that has the best eating around. I haven't been in there as when I go by, there is always a line to get in, but one of these days, yep, I will take the time to stand for a little while to see what they are talking about. But I always hear good when you ask someone if they have been there. Oh and check out the Astoria Column and a tour thu the Lewis and Clark fort. Pretty cool. But there are more guys out there that can give you more places to go than I but it is a start for ya.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
marc52454
Advanced

The North Cascade hiway if you have the time, beautiful ride!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeap a nice coast ride..really nice,weather maybe foggy mornings

Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
firemedic58
Intermediate

Just a heads up for the Oregon Coast, it's not uncommon for the temps to be up to 20 degrees cooler than that of the inland. Some great riding along 101 but it can get windy and push you around a bit especially around Florence. I would highly recommend Crater Lake Natl. Park awesome ride around the rim of the lake and they have a lodge you can stay at, but make reservations in advance! Here's a link; http://www.craterlakelodges.com/

Quick Reply: Idaho, Washington, Oregon tips needed