Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Idaho, Washington, Oregon tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM
sawinwa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some day-trips out of Seattle...

...that I like, include:
- the "3-pass loop"... east out I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass, to Ellensburg, then north over Bluett Pass to Leavenworth, then back west over Hiway 2 and Stevens Pass to Monroe, and then back down into Seattle.
- the Yakima/Ellensburg loop... south on I-405 to Renton, then east out thru Maple Valley to Enumclaw, and on Hiway 410 up over Cayuse Pass (great Mt. Rainier views!) and down the other side to Yakima. Then north to Ellensburg on the Canyon River road, and back to Seattle on I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass.
- Ferry boat crossing across Puget Sound from Edmonds to Kingston, then on mostly local roads up to Port Townsend and back.
- a ride south to the Mt. St. Helens visitor center and viewing point of the volcano

You can find some great rides and resources on a local website called Soundrider.com.

Welcome to the NW !

Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to plan a trip from Puyallup, WA over to lake coeur d'alene. I hear the ride around the lake is beautiful.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 PM
hoosierbagman
Advanced

Thanks, guys, you're great!
I'll print this off and get the maps out and see how many I can include during my stay.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:07 PM
troy.j
Road Captain

Oregon. Crater Lake Natl. Park, when you leave there map your way to tiller and on down to Canyonville, take the redwood hy to gold beach (be sure to stop at the Oregon caves on the way) and have a look at the redwoods then head up the cost.

Washington, Whidbey Island. See the old WWII gun forts and Deception Pass Bridge. HW20 will get you on the other side of the cascades and give you one hell of a scenic ride.

whatever you decide to do, there is too much to see to experience it all.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 for Coeur d'Alene Lake. If you're coming in from Montanna, take Highway 90 up through Coeur d'Alene over to Spokane. Nice lake to stop by if you have time.

Also, if you make it to the Oregon Coast, look for a place called Cannon Beach. It's a couple hours past Portland, and a great place to spend a day or two.

As mentioned above, I'd stay out of the I-5 corridor through Seattle/Tacoma. It's dense traffic nearly all the time. But the San Juan Islands are beautiful north of Seattle, and depending on how you want to route plan you can take the ferry across Puget Sound and come down through Hoodsport, which is a real picturesque ride.

Have fun. Lots to see in the PNW...

Doc