Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis Hailstorm stories?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 PM
dvmweb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis Hailstorm stories?

Was anyone caught in the storms out in Sturgis that were reported on the news? They said the hail was the size of tennis *****.

Walt MI/USA

Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

http://www.examiner.com/x-3640-Kansa...night-of-rally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTTG6EVbFr8

and from 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ty4n_yj7bs

most every year... I was lucky, I spent three days there July 15,15,17 - Not a drop of rain and high 70's/low 80's

Last edited by harley0711; 08-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Jon H
Road Master

trapped in our rental SUV as the intensity increased. The noise of the impact against our vehicle quickly turned from a few taps to an angry mob hammering on our car from every direction.

What a POS report.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:15 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was there and was very lucky to have missed it...was out riding in the Rushmore/Custer area and managed to skirt it on our way back to Spearfish.

I did get a message from Jeff "bksmoky" that his bike was damaged. I didn't get a chance to talk with him before he left to head home, but I do know he he was camping at the Full Throttle. Not that anyone is pleased when that happens, but his is a new, 2009 POSE Ultra. Such a bummer!

My Sturgis weather story is that I did "get" to ride about 30 miles in a 60 - 75 mph crosswind/rain storm between Cody and Greybull. Ran into 3 riders who had their detachable windshields blow off! I was terrified out of my mind. There was absolutely no cover or place to exit until Greybull. The shoulder was sloped with loose gravel and I can tell you, I would NOT have been able to hold my bike up if I did stop. We stopped in Greybull and aborted the last 100 miles of the plan for that day...so did pretty much every other biker unlucky enough to be on that road. It didn't help that I had all my gear piled high...catching the wind like a sail. Hit similar wind on I-90 near Sturgis Wed night and saw one biker down. Fortunately, we were lucky enough to get off the highway pretty quickly and waited it out until the storm passed.

Crazy weather in the evenings...storms sure come up fast in that area. Other than that, the riding and weather was fantastic!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Missed the hail. We left on Thursday and rode all the way across SD and a third of Minn. in a steady rain. Got soaked.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

The guy I was riding with and I must have done something good in a former lifetime. We were in Sturgis Monday through Wednesday, rolled out of town towards Yellowstone on Wednesday late afternoon. We were in the Broken Spoke with Ozzy when the 'severe thunderstorm' hit on Tuesday night, and out at the Marshall Tucker concert later that night. Missed the hail Wed, (and Tyler falling off the stage at the Chip,) and while we got rained on a bit in Yellowstone we missed most of the huge storms during our three day ride home. They would have just passed through before we got there - standing water on the road - or we only caught a little rain and the lightning and sheets of rain fell behind us.

Sturgis was a great time, but there was so much going on that we never made it out to the Chip. (I'm told that the cold weather and the storms, hail, etc. put a damper on some of the activity scheduled out there...?? Anyone who was there - is this the case?)

There were a lot of cops in town - they must have stopped at least 50 bikers out at the stop sign in front of the Broken Spoke on Monday - and they had Sturgis clamped down pretty tight. All night long announcements were made from the stages in the bars where we were about the cops, 'make sure you came to a complete stop', 'put both feet down and count to three', avoid being a dick, the rides home that were available (don't ride drunk), etc. etc.

But we had a great 8 days. I enjoyed Sturgis, but the ride to and from wasn't bad either - riding over 11,000' on 212 in Yellowstone was a real highlight.

And we missed 98% of the hail and the storms.

Sorry to hear about the guys whose bikes were damaged...that sucks.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got hailed on last year going thru Wyoming from Sturgis

Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Two B
Advanced

Got in some back in 2000 in Deadwood. No damage but it didn't feel real good. Came in at night and caught us off gaurd. We were trying to get back to the motel. Lots of damage in surrounding area.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Was just walking past Sidehack Saloon and saw the BLACK cloud looming to the west, so my bud and I hauled @$$ inside (we were hungry anway). Not 10 minutes later it was raining in 55 gallon buckets, hailing and winds a plenty!

Hail was golfball size in Sturgis; had some friends that were out at Full Throttle and said the hail was softball size. It was hard enough that it sounded like a freight train zooming past when standing 5 feet away. Friends out at Full Throttle got a little hail damage on their '03 S/E Road King.

It was pretty hairy to say the least...

Old 08-09-2009, 11:26 PM
roadapple1
Advanced

Like monstead said, I hit that cross wind outside greybull going to cody, never saw anything like it, my wheels would drift out from under me so far that I knew that it was just a matter of time they would leave the road, cut her down to 40mph for a long way

Quick Reply: Sturgis Hailstorm stories?