Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

decent NYC interstate drive by tour?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 PM
bigfatglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decent NYC interstate drive by tour?

i'm heading up to maine at the end of the month and the little woman wants to lay eyes on the big apple. neither of us has ever been there, so i wonder if there is an interstate route that will afford us a decent view of the skyline and lady liberty without getting into all the hubub in the city? looking at the atlas it appears that maybe we could take I 278 in the southerly circle from new jersey and get a look at lady liberty while headed to I 95 on to connecticut......any advice? i don't want to get stranded in any traffic jams on my twin cam in the august heat!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM
lowridernj
Intermediate

the only way you are really going to get to see her is to go to liberty state park (78 NJ Turnpike Extension) then go thru holland tunnel into the city and take 12th Ave north (west side Highway, great view of the USS Intrepid) which becomes Henry Hudson Parkway to 95 north (Cross Bronx Expressway which is a horrible road, I travel it every day. you will also use this road if you cross over from the George Washington Bridge) or keep going on Henry Hudson and take 287 west to 95 north this will need to be done from after 10AM and before 2PM and you should be good with traffic. many other ways also to get to connecticut depending on your time
Being in NY City and Tri state area there is no guarantee when the traffic can start. also have rain gear ready cause that what it seems to be doin all summer here.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
sarge40
Road Master

I agree that Liberty State Park is probably the best vantage point without hitting the city or taking a float over. To get up north though, ya don't have to go through the city, but its gonna be a round about way. You can stay on the Jersey side and take the Palisades up, which is a nice route, to 9W or 287/87 if you don't mind going a little more out of the way, and take the Tappan Zee to 287 (Cross Westchester Expressway) to 95 up to Maine. You're adding some distance to the route, but probably saving time if you're driving during the day by bypassing the crappy Cross Bronx traffic, which sucks *****. I may be in VA now, but I lived around NYC for about 30 years, so I know that you wanna avoid that road at all costs, especially with a hot big twin heating your legs up and practically nowhere nice to pull off for a bit to cool off.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 on Sarge

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone ban that spammer!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,404 Likes on 5,007 Posts

If you are not familiar with Interstate 95 between Richmond Va and Boston, I recommend you try to avoid as much of it as you can, the traffic can be brutal in the summer. No way to enjoy riding in that craziness…

When I ride between Connecticut and Florida I take a more western route, it is about 150 miles longer, but probably doesn`t take any more time, and is much more enjoyable (and safer).

Heading north I go on I-26 up to Columbia SC, to I-77 up to I-81 through Harrisburg, PA I-78 to I-287, across the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Merritt Parkway/Wilbur Cross Parkway, then over to I-95 at Milford CT.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM
bigfatglide
Intermediate

i appreciate the input from y'all. it's very cool to have input from people who actually know what the hell you're talking about! and just for the record, i do plan on going up I 85 out of greenville SC to I 77 to I 81 to I 78 to I 278 (insert lady liberty / big apple drive by) to I 95 on up to maine. if i'm making a bad move going for I 95 after NYC, which way would be the better choice? sorry to be so dependent, but if you guys ever come below the mason dixon, i can hook you up with directions! i appreciate the info fellows.....looking forward to a little more.....

Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 PM
bigfatglide
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
Someone ban that spammer!
you are a man after my own heart. no way i'd be looking to ride through the big apple except i wanna make my love happy......what can ya do? maybe we can have a beer in the MOUNTAINS some time huh?

Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,404 Likes on 5,007 Posts

You have a good route planned, if you decide you want to head in to the city, I would suggest you do it on a weekend, early Sunday morning would be ideal.

You could take I-278 across the Verrazano Bridge into Brooklyn, head north on the shore parkway, up to the Brooklyn Battery tunnel or the Brooklyn Bridge (if you`re gonna ride in Brooklyn, you might as well be able to tell your friends you rode over the Brooklyn Bridge...) Battery park is in lower Manhattan, Ferrys to Liberty island are right there.

Get into the city early on a Sunday, the traffic won`t be bad, be on the road by noon and you will be fine.

You will think the drivers in New York are the craziest drivers you have ever seen, but then you will go to Connecticut and you will realize that NY drivers are actually not bad at all...

Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

I take the Palisades Interstate when I come up and back from NJ. Just watch the timing as traffic into the George Washington Bridge gets bad at rush hours.

Liberty State is the best viewing for the lady.

Quick Reply: decent NYC interstate drive by tour?