Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Headed from Dallas to Austin the The Hill Country

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 PM
94fatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headed from Dallas to Austin the The Hill Country

I have some business to do in Austin so I have decided to make a weekend of it on the bike. I will be leaving Dallas, head to Austin, stay in Austin Friday night then will head to The Hill Country on Saturday. I have read many of the threads about The Hill Country but was hoping I could get some current info...

1-Is there a decent scenic route to Austin...Not 35 the whole way

2-Was thinking Fredricksburg or Kerrville to stay Saturday night...Any other recommendations city wise or hotel/motel/cabin??

3-Any cant miss items other then the riding? I have ridden down there several times, just never stayed...

Thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
sporty06
Road Captain

I prefer taking 281 from Hico to Johnson city and then cut across to Austin. I take 67 from 35N through Cleburne and Glenrose then cut off on FM 220 to Hico. However, I start off in Arlington. There probably more scenic routes and maybe someone else will chime in.

sporty06

Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Whatever you do, don't stay at the Marriot in Georgetown off 35....they charge over $200 per night and you get NO free breakfast or WiFi.....I thought I was going to have to put quarters in the shower to bathe

Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 AM
MajorUltra
Intermediate

Not from the area but my son lives in Dallas also. However, have been to Austin several times for the great ROT ralley. We always enjoy riding the Hill country and stop in Fredricksburg for lunch but we always make a side trip to Marble Falls and go to the Blue Bonnet cafe where they have the BEST pies in the world. After a long, hot, ride (ralley is in June) a big slice of cold pie and a glass of ice cold sweet tea in the air condition cafe is like a 2 hour pass to heaven. I would recommend you check this place out.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me and I had the time Id take 67 south out to 281 south (take the 220 off 67 to Hico). Then when I got to 290 Id jog over to Austin.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
drjggood1
Cruiser
Default Glen Rose Trail

I had a half-day to kill and headed south out of Dallas to ride the Glen Rose Trail. Turned out to be some pretty amazing scenery. Not a direct route to Austin, but if you are in the area...worth checking this out. Good Luck. West side of Austin is killer ride.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/route...TX/TX_16.shtml

Last edited by drjggood1; 08-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94fatboy
I have some business to do in Austin so I have decided to make a weekend of it on the bike. I will be leaving Dallas, head to Austin, stay in Austin Friday night then will head to The Hill Country on Saturday. I have read many of the threads about The Hill Country but was hoping I could get some current info...

1-Is there a decent scenic route to Austin...Not 35 the whole way

2-Was thinking Fredricksburg or Kerrville to stay Saturday night...Any other recommendations city wise or hotel/motel/cabin??

3-Any cant miss items other then the riding? I have ridden down there several times, just never stayed...

Thanks
Beer @ Luckenbach.

Beer @ Harry's on the Loop.

Beer.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile take em take me

In Kerrville I like the Inn of the Hills, they have website with map. The breakfast and dinner buffets are killer...just don't get any better...rooms are OK and under a $100. Great pool....there is not much water in the hill country other than pools due to drought! From Kerrville it is easy and great ride to 3 sisters if you are inclined. Look a map over...16 is good ride but 39 to 1034 is better for just a ride. Almost not possible to NOT find a good ride. Drinking water is available in Leakey and Camp Wood...along with food and beer but in the heat water is probably the most important...take some on bike and drink it. Early AM and evenings bring out the deer, but any camels, kangaroos, zebras, antelope and horses are generally fenced in.
On 335 there is a dry crossing we found that was a great swim...aqbout midway...park right on the improved crossing, walk 6 feet and water is 8-11 feet in small area. There's a couple still photos on my video of our early June ride. I plan to spend a lot of time there this fall and winter and it is 320 miles for me to get there. Nueces, Frio and Medina Rivers make the Guadalupe look like drainage canal. Have a great ride. I know there is extensive talk about a loop north of Fredricksburg. Just can't miss John

Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you stay in Kerrville go to the YO Ranch. Great room rate and very biker friendly. You can park your bike right next to your door leading outside and it is like covered parking. Good bar and resturant.

http://www.yoresort.com/

Attached Thumbnails Headed from Dallas to Austin the The Hill Country-dsc01134.jpg  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we go: (from Ft Worth)

I20 West to 16.
16 south. Stop in Llano at Coopers for lunch.
16 south to Willow City Loop.
Run the loop to Sandy.
1320 to 2721 back to Fredericksburg.
You could stay on 1320 and take 290 to Austin, we continue on to Kerrville on 16.

Usually stay at the Inn of the Hills (like flibuoy) and yes, the buffet ROCKS!

Ride the Sisters: 16 south to Medina.
337 west to Camp Wood
55 North to Barksdale
335 north to 41
41 east to 336
336 south to 83
83 north to 39
39 east to Kerrville

There are lots of other roads out there as well....plenty of choices, but for me, the above route through the Sisters is a must do ride every trip.

Quick Reply: Headed from Dallas to Austin the The Hill Country