Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Dragon and HD's Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Pardner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dragon and HD's Ride Planner

Was introduced to HD's Ride Planner on another thread today and must say I am very impressed. I recently did The Dragon/Cherohala Loop (http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...9&locale=en_US) and created this route using HD's Ride Planner. I did a similar thing with google maps and other tools but HD's tool allows me to save the route and share it with others. As well, others can download this route to their GPS or edit and then download ... FRICKIN GREAT imho. There were parts of this route that were very impressive and some just OK. I'd love to see other HD Ride Planner routes that folks have taken in that area and comments about the route and highlights etc. Seem to recall lots of comments about how The Dragon is good, but (insert road here) is even better, etc. Actually would love to see any routes in the NC area that you think are special.

So, my comments about The Dragon Loop listed above:

1. I actually went from Maggie Valley to The Dragon, but didn't include 19 or 74 on the route. 74 is just another super highway going though the mountains and if you like cruising down the highway at 70 mph then it might interest you.

2. The route I list starts on HW 28 (Hell Bender)which leads you to The Dragon from the NC side. Wow, what a road, some serious twisties without the 30 mph speed limit imposed on The Dragon. Very challenging road with good scenery. It follows a river along for a ways and was really a lot of fun.

3. Deals Gap "The Dragon" store is at the bottom. Nice little place to get a shirt, breakfast, lunch etc. And you can get the infomous "Dragon" picture.

4. Hwy 129, The Dragon, was a blast. Continious twisties that never really allowed you to get up to highway speeds unless you're riding a crotch rocket and trying to prove something. Probably scrubed the floor boards a dozen times going at moderate speeds. I've heard others say whats the big deal ... but for me ... it made the trip.

5. Followed 129 to Hwy 33. Right after the dragon, some places to eat and a few "dragon" stores. Then the road follows the river up to Hwy 33. Was OK ... nothing to write home about.

6. Hwy 33 to Cherohola Parkway, hmm, interesting ... rural, scenery OK.

7. Cherohola Parkway ... guess I was a bit disapointed in this. Went up the mountain to an elevation of about 5000 ft. I guess I prefer the Blue Ridge Parkway to this road.

Summary, 28 and The Dragon were great. Wish I had turned around and come back the other way and found other roads instead of doing the cherohola parkway.

Last edited by Pardner; 08-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,085 Likes on 3,645 Posts

There are many other roads up there that are untalked of...local secrets...just turn of left or right on small roads and voila...the roads you are talking about are awesome but there are a lot more....goback and just turn left or right off the highway and you will discover another treat.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
fatvette
Cruiser

It's been a few years since I have been down there. Going to try and get down there sometime in September.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 176 Posts

Just came back 2 weeks ago. Consider Rt 360 on the Tn side. We actually went across 441 on Sunday night and stayed in Pigeon Forge. On Monday morning at 9am we left PF, stopped in Maryville and then found our way to Rt 360 (picked it up off 33 in Vonore) and took it down to Tellico Plains and started the Cherohola Skyway from that end. Came up to Robbinsville and followed Rt 143 up to 28 and then to Deal's Gap and the Dragon. We were back at PF around 7:30. My point is that Rt 360 on the Tn side was a wonderful riding route bonus.

Oh yeah, HDForum94 not a very good way to gather any good will for your company. JMO

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 08-04-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

441 over the mountains would be alot more enjoyable without all the traffic but its a main road through the park. Still a nice road with great scenery. Wife and I are planning on going back to explore some more roads in that area. We stayed in Gatlinburg while we were there. I too think the Dragon is a really cool ride and have been told by many that it isnt what its bragged up to be. To each is own. Will do it again.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We were down there from july 5th thru the 8th and road about all the roads you did and i will say that 28 was a blast and a fun road we took it back from Cherokee one evening all the way to our room at deals gap and the traffic was non existant and we were running hard and it was great.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 PM
bigfatglide
Intermediate

i have ridden all the roads mentioned in this thread many times. since i live in upstate SC, some of these are just sunday day rides i do regularly. this just goes to show that no particular road satisfies every rider. personally i don't care if i never ride the dragon again, but i'd love to make daily passes over the cherohale. with that said, i agree with the original post about the blue ridge parkway. i have ridden every mile of it, along with every mile of the shenandoah national parkway, and there is no where i've ever ridden that i would rather ride than the BRP, and that includes two colorado mountain trips. it's very hard to find a mutally satisfactory road anywhere, but i think the BRP is everyone's best bet. just my two pennies.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
bigfatglide
Intermediate

i should clarify that i mean no disrepsect to the dragon or those who love to ride it, i just no longer enjoy being relentlessly surrounded by riders that i have no idea as to their skills or sobriety, and i cannot enjoy the ride because of these factors. this is the very reason i no longer attend large national type bike rallies. in fact, i have come to the place where i truthfully find my most enjoyable moments on my bike when i am completely alone with only myself to worry about, so maybe it has nothing to do with the road i'm on after all??

Old 08-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Pardner
Cruiser

Yeah ... we had a lot of fun on our trip to Maggie Valley / Dragon and gonna do it again soon. Hoping to put some routes together before I go. Would love to see others favorite routes ... and I'll put the plug in for "ride planner" again. Plot your route and share it with the group! Here's another fun little day trip I did from Raleigh to Clarksville ... talk about "deliverance" roads. Watch out for the 1/4 gravel road on the Va. border. http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...1&locale=en_US

Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Pardner
Cruiser

And here's another fun route from Danville to Roanoke. We saw a horse pulled wagon on a hayride on this route ... http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...8&locale=en_US

Quick Reply: The Dragon and HD's Ride Planner