Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southern Cal to Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009 | 07:31 PM
Oilfielddude
|
4th Gear
Default Southern Cal to Vegas

Hey,
Me and my wife are taking the 09 ultra to Vegas from So-Cal area on July 29. Can someone offer some advice and there experience on this particular route. Its my wife's first big harley trip and I have told her it is HOT! I have read some other posts where it is like having a hot blow dryer on you for 260 miles.
I have the H2O vests and am taking an ice chest, drinks etc.
Thanks for any advice and thoughts on the route.

Doug-Newbury Park, CA
2009 Ultra Classic

Old 07-25-2009 | 11:19 PM
ADC
Intermediate

You're leaving mid week so traffic should not be too bad. Leave as early in the morning as you can. Not much to see along the way and you don't want to get tied up in the So Cal morning rush hour(s). Hope it works out taking the wife on her first big trip and chosing LV as your destination. This time of year, heading north up the coast through Big Sur into Carmel might bring you some more "wifey" smiles than the desert heat will.

Old 07-26-2009 | 12:15 AM
Apendejo
Road Warrior

Leave the SoCal area at first light. I would take the 14 to 58 to 15.
Kramer Junction would be my first stop for a cup of coffee and a leg stretch and maybe a top off at the 76 station.
Then roll out to Barstow. My next leg stretch would be Baker.
You will probably be thinking about shedding the leather by then.
Long sleeve white t-shirts, bandana around the neck is advised. Slather up with sunscreen at each stop, just be aware that that stuff will stain anything that is white.
The OL and I have done Vegas many times in the heat of summer. Really it is a piece of cake ride, especially on a Wednesday.
If you are staying downtown take the 15 all the way thru and get off at Main Street, trying to navigate the strip in the heat is not fun at all. If you are staying on the strip, oh well.
I will be rolling over on Friday, not taking the bike this time, I work outside so I need a couple days break from the heat, gonna have the A/C cranked in the car. It's gonna be in the 110 degree range next week.
Staying at the Plaza downtown.
Best of luck,
AP