Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Canadian Riders Please - Planning a visit

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Canadian Riders Please - Planning a visit

Wife and I are looking for a ride in Spring/summer or fall, 2010.. Looking for some guidance and start dialog with suggestions..
I have ridden some of the western Canada - From Prince Rupert to The Columbia Ice fields and back down to Washington - and LOVED Canada.
This time we are looking at starting on the West Coast and heading East along the Southern part???? towards either Thunder Bay or further East (if all is going well).
Looking for any and all suggestions - warnings - what to see and what to stay away from..
During our last ride in Canada we were treated very well by 99.9% of the people but I have heard different stories the further East an American goes??? These were just stories - that is why I am asking here.
Currently what is the price for fuel in Canada??

Old 07-25-2009, 02:35 PM
dan boudreau
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first off, don't worry about us canucks most of us treat American's as well as you treat us and I have never had a problem traveling state side which my wife and I enjoy doing yearly.Heading east across Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba is nothing special and quite boring. But if you are willing to east from Thunder Bay it will be a nice ride around the top of lake Superior. As far south as Sudbury is nice you can cross onto Manitoulin Island in Espanola. The Island is quite nice and you can take a fairy off the south end over to Tobermory which is a touristy little town. From there you could ride south through sout western Ontario follow the coast and cross back into Us at Port Huron MI. Ride across Michigan and take fairy across lake Michigan to Milwaukee and do the Museum. From there west through MN to SD and west. Just some thoughts. Right now fuel is about $0.97 per litre about $3>90 gallon. Keep in mind that hotels cost more about $120.00/night on average, and a t-shirt at a dealer is usually about $35.00.

Good luck

Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Lex72
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there .... If you are looking at starting wes and heading east ... may i suggest taking Hiway # 3 right along the border .... I have ridden this and it is a GREAT ride thorugh BC. Once you get to the prairies it ps pretty much the same going south as north ... unless you want to head up to the Territories. I agree with the post above once you are in ontario by the great lakes it is pretty nice. Plan on gas costing you an average of $1.00/ Liter ... it will range from .80 cents to $1.00 .... all depends where you are ... I think it is just about 4 Liters to 1 Gallon ... or close anyway ... makes gas up here most pricey than you are used to i think. For the most part folks up here are pretty nice... in my own experience going through Ontario i found mostly big city folk "who are you?" attitude ... now that is not everyone .. but you might find less "Hey man come and have a beer!" attitude than you would in the west. I used to live up in Prince Rupert.... pretty nice scenery up there ... I also lived on Vancouver Island ... good riding there ... pretty clean streets and not to many potholes ... lots of twisties. and decent pavement. that all changes when you get to Saskatchewan. Hope you have a great ride! Just a heads up if you end up taking Hwy 3 once you get close to Crowsnest Pass (in Alberta) there is some mighty winds that come off the mountains there... be prepard just incase. Also a good ride is Hwy 1 (transcanda)... you get to go through the ShuShawps .... either way is great ... hwy 1 will be faster by about 8 Hours (going from Vancouver to Calgary - Hwy 1 = approx 10 Hours - Hwy 3 = Approx 18 - 20 Hours ride time .... no sightseeing)... but hwy 3 has more exciting motorbike roads. Also if you are going through alberta and want some pics ... there are touristy attractions kinda ... (http://www.bigthings.ca/bigab.html)... just larger than normal things to get pictures with. If you go on Hwy 1 ... you will go by " The enchanted forest" by Revelstoke and CrazyCreek Falls .... close to Golden i think ... i cant remember. On Hwy 3 you get to see the orchards by Osoyoos, BC and many twisties, there is the largest truck in the world in Sparwood, BC and there is the Kokanne Berwery in Creston, BC... Home of "The Ranger!" (could be just a canadian thing) I could keep typin but this should get you started...

Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks,,, I have printed out both suggestions and they have gone in our file... this is exactly the type of info I wanted.. Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 03:54 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dan boudreau
The Island is quite nice and you can take a fairy off the south end over to Tobermory which is a touristy little town. From there you could ride south through sout western Ontario follow the coast and cross back into Us at Port Huron MI. Ride across Michigan and take fairy across lake Michigan

Good luck

Ya, I know I am from CA but I would really rather take the "FERRY" insead of riding a "FAIRY" lol

I am sorry, just could not resist - I type fast also and misspell words alot - this one just struck me funny

Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

if you'll be in Ontario,Toronto area if you want contact me,we are 4 bikes family
/3 HD/ we can have some bbq and beers ,Mathew

Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mustasz
if you'll be in Ontario,Toronto area if you want contact me,we are 4 bikes family
/3 HD/ we can have some bbq and beers ,Mathew
Sounds great.. IF we make it that far east, I hope to head to Montreal BUT if we turn south, I will let you know... I have printed out your post and it is in our file... thanks again..