Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Albuquerque to Las Vegas NV

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Lobby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Albuquerque to Las Vegas NV

The wife and I are thinking about packing up the Deuce and heading to Las Vegas NV while the rest of you are heading to Sturgis this year. We have everything set to go, hotels so we can see the Grand Canyon and a sweet deal in Vegas and such but we are torn between taking a car and the bike. We both really want to take the scooter but there are some issues.

This would be the first ride since my wife's car accident in February. Her ankle was badly broken and she is not sure how it will handle the ride. Though she no longer needs it she still feels safer in the walking boot in crowds so she'd either wear that or we'd have to pack somewhere. Another issue is I just got new medicine that makes me more susceptible to sunburn. Great, I'm called Lobby the Lobster because of the beautiful shade of red I turned before the new med. I have been told I will need to be covered from head to toe when I'm on bike. Nothing like riding through the desert with a jacket on.

Anyone know of things we should stop and see on our way? How bad is road construction along I 40 and Highway 93 I think it is? Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:47 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip to Vegas

On my return trip to vegas I used I-40 and 93. There were no construction issues on I-40 but the bypass around the dam is not finished and traffic delays can be a bear on a bike. If it looks like like you may cross the dam during a sat or sun afternoon, take the route to laughlin, nv from kingman, az. You could easily take an hour or two to get across the dam and at 100+ degrees it will be very uncomfortable. Also, most of the folks I ride with wear long sleeve shirts. Usually, of the type they sell for fishing, they are light and have plenty of ventilation through them. And remember it is a DRY heat so drink plenty of water, you can dehydrate on a bike very very quickly. If you do bring the bike, 'course you could always drive the car and rent a bike for a day or two, hit me up. If I am not working maybe I could show you some rides around this town. There's more to see here than the lights and glitz. LOL.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Lobby
Intermediate

That is a very kind offer! To me it is looking more and more like we will be taking a car. Jenni's foot is giving her trouble lately and I don't think that it would work well on a peg. One of the 3 bones she broke in her foot in Feb. will take close to a year to heal. I keep wondering if floorboards would work better for her.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRip car vs bike

Yea, I would probably take the car. On a bike with pegs there is only so much you can do to ease the pain. Floorboards would probably help, I have been thinking of changing the pass. pegs on my heritage to floor boards. Stop in at the HD dealer on Eastern Ave. They have a shuttle that runs from some hotels on the strip to them. They are real friendly folks and have maps and trip suggestions you may want to do.Looks like I'll be working but I know they have some great trip ideas. Have fun.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Lobby
Intermediate

Thanks for the info that will come in handy.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Lobby
Intermediate

Thought I'd let everyone know that we made it back safe from our trip and had a blast! It was way hot but the HD Hydration vest I picked up in Bellemont helped a lot.

Because of some unforeseen issues we did not make the Grand Canyon. The first day we only made it to Holbrook, AZ far short of Williams. We think it was the new diabetes med the doc had put me on just 3 days before leaving. I had to pull the bike over the exit before Holbrook because I felt like I was going to pass out. Luckily we found a little shop there to rest in, most of the exits in this part of AZ have nothing at them. It seems that my blood sugar dropped too low because after a few sips of my wife's Coke I perked up enough to get us to Holbrook. While it could have been the heat I think it was the blood sugar thing because of how I responded to the soda. To say the least that changed our plans. I stopped taking the new med until I could watch it better and we took it easier on the rest of the trip.

We did make the Hoover Dam and enjoyed that. Traffic wasn't too bad going towards Vegas but if you do it going from Vegas you want to do it early in the morning or you will be sitting in traffic for a long time.

Because of a malfunctioning cpap machine (for controlling sleep apnea) we lost a day of fun in Vegas and didn't make the HD shop. When you stop breathing an average of 130 time an hour the cpap machine is very important. It was a pain trying to find out how to deal with the problem when away from home, took 5 phone calls and $60 in cab fare to fix the problem but it was taken care of, eventually.

Jenni's foot had no problem on the bike, but she kind of wishes she hadn't dragged me up and down the strip so many times now. Her foot is so swollen she will have to wear her walking boot for the next week because she can barely get it into her shoe and it is not comfortable when she does. She still says it was worth it though.