Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado Trip - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Harleynole
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado Trip - What do you think?

After gathering all the information available from you guys on HD Forums our 7-day Colorado trip is planned. However it is not written in stone but we will use this schedule as a general guide.

Pick the wife up July 30 at Denver Airport. At 12 noon. Head out through Golden then up 72 through the Peak to Peak to Estes Park where we will bed for the night. From Estes Park east across RMNP 34 and down to Kremmling, hit 40 south to Silverthorne for the night. From Silverthorne head west to Grand Junction.

From Grand Junction down through Montrose – Telluride - then Cortez with a side trip to 4 corners into NM to Farmington the 550 to Silverton. A couple nights in Silverton. Then up to Montrose and turn right on 50 to Salida – Colorado Springs – Pikes Peak.

On to Denver Airport. The wife leaves at 8:00 AM for Florida. We will head back on the scoots immediately following to arrive in the Florida panhandle 4 days later.

Give your advice on things to do, places to stay, eat, etc., or interesting roads that I should include.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Coloradodude
Cruiser

All of that sounds really good. Outside of Denver, you will have minimal traffic on all of those roads. Personally, I think, that road from Telluride to Cortez, is one of the prettiest places on the planet. The Peak to Peak highway is really nice too. The road to the top of Pikes Peak is dirt for the last 5 or so miles, but it is not too bad, it is real steep too, but a lot of motorcycles do it with no problem. If you have never been on those roads, you are going to love the scenery. (Most of the poeple are all right too). Watch out for deer and elk at dawn and dusk, and afternoon thunderstorms almost always happen, but they are shortlived and you could wait them out if you want. Beware of lightning, it kills a few motorcyclists every year.
I ride those roads alot and I feel very fortunate to live in Colorado.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice trip, looks like you did your homework!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll love the million dollar highway. I was there a month ago. Beautiful.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Mtdew
Intermediate

Sounds like you are going to have some fun on that ride.

oh, Between Trinidad and Pueblo watch out for the cross winds. They are pretty strong at times. I've seen them blow over towed mobile homes like they were made of cardboard. If you are going up Pikes Peak, carry a jacket. It can get pretty chilly up there at 14000 feet. The only place I would stop in Pueblo would be Gray's Tavern for a Slopper!! hmmmmmmmmm, Take 1st street exit left to Sante Fe, take a right go to 4th street, take a left and go 5 blocks to Elizabeth and they are on the right hand side, Can't miss it.
Just in case you get hungry. LOL.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for reminding me. I would not go that way on I-25. Better to cut north toward Pagosa Springs through Southpark and over to Colorado Springs.

No offense Pueblo, but you know how it is.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Harleynole
Tourer

Thanks for the info - I'll sort through it all again before we make a final plan. All the folks that are going on the trip (4) met last night and decided to be "extremely flexible" in our route and plans. Don't hesitate to submit any info - none of the group has been to Colorado and would be disappointed if we drove by the most beautiful ride in Colorado.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Need to head North from Alamosa to Beuna Vistss. I forget the highway number, but you can probably find it.

Then east on 24 straight into Colorado Springs, coming in on the back side of Pikes Peak.

MUCH nicer.

I would recommend The Donut Mill in Woodland Park along 24. Best HUGE donuts around and voted best biscuts and gravy for years on end.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Harleynole
Tourer

I'm all about good biscuits. Can you get "grits" in CO?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

In the mountains and below timberline, beware for deer, especially in the evening.

I met a guy as he exited a curve and I entered. He was giving me some funky wave low and pumping his hand up and down. I thought WTF was that kind of wave...

I waved back and as I started to pour on the throttle to peak and exit the curve, there stood about 6 deer no more than 2 feet from the edge of the hiway. Then I yelled WTF!!!

I realized he had seen the deer and was warning me to slow down as I went through the curve. Damn, am I ever dense...

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip - What do you think?