Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado Trip - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just rode Trail Ridge Road in RMNP and loved it. Its chilly at 12000ft but I was ok in jeans and mesh jacket with the liner on. I have been through Durango, Sliverton, Ouray, Telluride and would love to do it on a bike. Have to ear mark that one for a future ride. Another good ride would be Poudre Canyon up to Steamboat Springs. I have done the Poudre Canyon part which was awesome.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:21 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

While you're in Golden, stop by Coors & take the tour...
The Colorado Rail Museum in also close to Coors too.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Harleynole
Tourer

Thanks for the info guys. I making changes and adding your suggestions.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:36 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a daughter that lives in Durango so my wife and I have done lots of the Colorado/Utah area. After Grand Junction highway 141 through Gateway then 145 into Telluride is very nice. The Delores river valley after Gateway is beautiful. There is a new inn in Gateway that is really nice. It has a great restaurant, a very nice car museum and some of the rooms have a hot tub on the patio, feels pretty good after a few days on the motorsickle. Silverton isn't much, have lunch and keep going, there is much more in Durango.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The old highway between Denver and Colorado Springs is still there if you want to avoid I-25. Hwy 85 goes south from Littleton, the southern Denver suburb. Rocky Mountain H-D is in south Littleton. They have the coolest of all Harley backprints on their T's and they've always been really friendly to me in there. The old highway goes through Sedalia, which had a nice biker bar the last time I was there, and then through Castle Rock, where Rocky Mountain H-D also has a shop. Franktown used to have a good biker bar, the Stagecoach Inn. Don't know if it's still there.
And if you're going up the mountain from downtown Springs, I prefer to go through Old Colorado City (Colorado Ave) and Manitou Springs; two nice places with lots of interesting bars, restaurants and shops. After Manitou, you have to get on the four lane, but can get off to go through Green Mountain Falls if you want- a nice little mountain town.
Haven't been there for a few years, but Colorado is heaven for bikers. Except for the mandated ethanol on the front range.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:39 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Originally Posted by mp
The old highway between Denver and Colorado Springs is still there if you want to avoid I-25. Hwy 85 goes south from Littleton, the southern Denver suburb. Rocky Mountain H-D is in south Littleton. They have the coolest of all Harley backprints on their T's and they've always been really friendly to me in there. The old highway goes through Sedalia, which had a nice biker bar the last time I was there, and then through Castle Rock, where Rocky Mountain H-D also has a shop. Franktown used to have a good biker bar, the Stagecoach Inn. Don't know if it's still there.
And if you're going up the mountain from downtown Springs, I prefer to go through Old Colorado City (Colorado Ave) and Manitou Springs; two nice places with lots of interesting bars, restaurants and shops. After Manitou, you have to get on the four lane, but can get off to go through Green Mountain Falls if you want- a nice little mountain town.
Haven't been there for a few years, but Colorado is heaven for bikers. Except for the mandated ethanol on the front range.
Sorry to say the Rockey Mountain HD store in Castle Rock is closed down. The Stagecoach in is still there. It has changed management but is still biker friendly.If you are going south I would go south from the Sedalia Bar and Grill to Highway 105. Hang a left and follow to Monument where there is another Bar( if that's your thing) which the name escapes me. It has good food too. I wouldn't waste your time going to Franktown. Plus, it's kinda outa your way unless you take highway 83 south to Colorado Springs. Not a bad road but not as nice as 105. The ethanol is not that bad, my bike runs on it all the time and does well with it. As far as Colorado being heavan for bikers, Amen.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Going thru Durango to Littleton on the way to Sturgis. Is Hwy 285 after Gunnison to Littleton for a stopover a good route. Or would you use a alternate route and stopover on the way to Sturgis.

Thanks in advance.

Walt

Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Originally Posted by wjvins
Going thru Durango to Littleton on the way to Sturgis. Is Hwy 285 after Gunnison to Littleton for a stopover a good route. Or would you use a alternate route and stopover on the way to Sturgis.

Thanks in advance.

Walt
Are you stopping in Littleton to meet up with friends/family? If so that is an excellent route. Just know that when you get to highway C470 while on 285 you'll need to go south a few miles to get to Littleton. You could then backtrack north on C470 to I70 East to I25 North and be on your way. Also, have your rain gear ready. You will get rain. Usually any time from noon to 4pm. Pretty much a given but it doesn't last too long.

Last edited by wood butcher; 07-12-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:15 PM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wood butcher
Are you stopping in Littleton to meet up with friends/family? If so that is an excellent route.Just know that when you get to highway C470 while on 285 you'll need to go south a few miles to get to Littleton. You could then backtrack north on C470 to I70 East to I25 North and be on your way.
No family or friends, just 2 up with wife, put the route together about a year ago, and can't find where I got the idea to go 285. Never been thru Colorado before.

Somehow, want to miss Denver Traffic.

Thanks
Walter

Old 07-12-2009, 10:01 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Originally Posted by wjvins
No family or friends, just 2 up with wife, put the route together about a year ago, and can't find where I got the idea to go 285. Never been thru Colorado before.

Somehow, want to miss Denver Traffic.

Thanks
Walter
If missing Denver is what you want to do that will be easy. There are many ways to do that but choosing one will depend on how much time you have. Colorado is a motorcycle riding mecca.
1) Take the route planned but stay in Golden or Lakewood in a hotel off of I70.Take I70 to I25 then I25 north to Wyoming. You will hit I25 just north of Denver.
2) Take 550 out of Durango to Montrose.Take 50 east to 285 north. When you get to Buena Vista, take 24 north to Leadville. Either stay on 24 to Vail or take 91 to the I70 freeway. Take I70 to I25 and follow no.1 directions to Wyoming or when you get to the C470 interchange look for the sign for 6th Ave to Golden. Get off and follow to the intersection of 6th, 119 and 58th St. Turn left (6th) and stay on 6th. Follow thru Blackhawk to Nederland. In Nederland you will come to a circle at the end of town. You can go either to Estes Park or to Boulder. If you go to Estes Park, when you get there go east on 34 and that will take you to I25 up in Loveland. Go north on I25 to Wyoming. If you go to Boulder you will have to go thru town but stay on 36 and you will eventually hit I25 on the north side of town. Go north to Wyoming. You can figure an extra 3/4 of a day either way. Personally I would go to Loveland.
If time is a factor, take you original route. You could make up many different routes. Get out your HOG touring handbook if you have one. Colorado is highlighted pretty well. I have personally ridden all of these roads and like all of them. Check out www.motorcyclecolorado.com. They have a pretty good selection of roads to review. Also, always have your rain gear ready while riding in Colorado. You could hit thunderstorms at almost any time but usually after noon in the mountains and out east.

Last edited by wood butcher; 07-12-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip - What do you think?