Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado Trip - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
BRKFLHX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleynole
After gathering all the information available from you guys on HD Forums our 7-day Colorado trip is planned. However it is not written in stone but we will use this schedule as a general guide.

Pick the wife up July 30 at Denver Airport. At 12 noon. Head out through Golden then up 72 through the Peak to Peak to Estes Park where we will bed for the night. From Estes Park east across RMNP 34 and down to Kremmling, hit 40 south to Silverthorne for the night. From Silverthorne head west to Grand Junction.

From Grand Junction down through Montrose – Telluride - then Cortez with a side trip to 4 corners into NM to Farmington the 550 to Silverton. A couple nights in Silverton. Then up to Montrose and turn right on 50 to Salida – Colorado Springs – Pikes Peak.

On to Denver Airport. The wife leaves at 8:00 AM for Florida. We will head back on the scoots immediately following to arrive in the Florida panhandle 4 days later.

Give your advice on things to do, places to stay, eat, etc., or interesting roads that I should include.
Just a suggestion about your route. Living in the mountains, Breckenridge, I may suggest the following:

Continue through Kremmling to Hwy 134, Gore Pass. This a great route. You can drop down on 131, which will put you in Wolcott. Back track to Vail for the night.

Just outside of Vail you pick up Hwy 24 towards Leadville, old mining town, to Hwy 82, Independence Pass. This takes you into Aspen, 2nd homes of the Hollywood stars. Independence Pass is unbelieveable. Aspen is quite the place. We did Independence Pass in the early fall last year and it was snowing 3/4 of the way up.

If you are interested in learning more about Silverthorne, Frisco, and Breckenridge, I can help with additional suggestions. There is an alternative route out of Breckenridge that will get you to Independence Pass and head you in the direction you are looking at going.

If you still drop down out of Kremmling. you will want to get on Hwy 9 south, not 40.

Sounds like an absolute great trip.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Mtdew
Intermediate

Need to head North from Alamosa to Beuna Vistss. I forget the highway number, but you can probably find it.

The Highway number is 17.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
texasridr
Cruiser

I lived in Lake City for 5 years. I would not ride from Grand Junction to Montrose. It's so boring compared to everything else available. I also would skip I70 entirely.

A MUST do loop is Durango - Silverton - Montrose - Gunnison (don't actually go into town, but turn South beforehand) Lake City, Crede, Pagosa Springs, Durango. It doesn't matter what town you start in, but don't get caught after dark unless you're prepared for cold temps and lot's of deer. I've made that loop many, many times in a day, and I still want to do it again. It's the BEST!!

If you need to get North from Montrose or Gunnison, you also should ride the north rim of the Black Canyon hwy 92 on the north side of the Blue Mesa lake that is just west of Gunnison. The road starts at the dam and winds back and forth countless times. There's great views here! Follow it north and have lunch at Joe Cocker's restaurant in Crawford (assuming it's still there). Then take 133 to Carbondale and 82 through Aspen. 82 is better ridden eastward out of Aspen than down into Aspen. The river is on YOUR side of the road and it's fun to climb out of the canyon. Then work your way up north to Denver on 24 or 91.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 AM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradodude
. Personally, I think, that road from Telluride to Cortez, is one of the prettiest places on the planet.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Walt

Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 AM
wood butcher
Tourer

When you turn east on 50 out of Montrose don't pass up the opportunity to see the Black Canyon. It's a slight side track, doesn't take too long, but well worth the time. Heads up for deer. I've included a few pics. Also, I'd eliminate the swing out to Farmington. Boring desert riding to get you to a nothing town. Unless your looking for another t-shirt. Aside from the shirt it's a waste of time.

Last edited by wood butcher; 07-18-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Coloradodude
Cruiser

Another good ride is from Loveland to Estes Park on hwy 34, (Big Thompson Canyon). The only roads I would advise to stay away from are I-25 from Denver to Ft collins, and I-25 from Denver to Colorado Springs. That hwy is busy 24/7 and everybody is out to kill you. Also I-70 coming back to Denver on a Sunday afternoon, stop and go traffic, very busy. On your trip you will cross the Continental Divide many times, these passes are very high (10,000 and 11,000 feet above sea level) and very cool. Temperature cool and views cool.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:55 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Acouple of days in Silverton? Not much of a town IMHO. We stayed in Durango, much more to do.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:58 PM
wideglide01
Advanced

Originally Posted by BRKFLHX
Just a suggestion about your route. Living in the mountains, Breckenridge, I may suggest the following:

Continue through Kremmling to Hwy 134, Gore Pass. This a great route. You can drop down on 131, which will put you in Wolcott. Back track to Vail for the night.

Just outside of Vail you pick up Hwy 24 towards Leadville, old mining town, to Hwy 82, Independence Pass. This takes you into Aspen, 2nd homes of the Hollywood stars. Independence Pass is unbelieveable. Aspen is quite the place. We did Independence Pass in the early fall last year and it was snowing 3/4 of the way up.

If you are interested in learning more about Silverthorne, Frisco, and Breckenridge, I can help with additional suggestions. There is an alternative route out of Breckenridge that will get you to Independence Pass and head you in the direction you are looking at going.

If you still drop down out of Kremmling. you will want to get on Hwy 9 south, not 40.

Sounds like an absolute great trip.

I second this post. Live in WI, moms family all in CO. I have been to CO countless times, seen almost every inch of that state. Will be back there soon for another ride. My opinion, skip Pikes Peak, dirt towards top, it just doesn't really impress me. Your gonna see enough mountains that Pikes Peak is just gonna waste a day. All the above routes and passes by this poster are gonna far exceed Pikes Peak. Independence Pass is a must if you go to CO. It's a worthwhile detour on your way towards Grand Junction. Leadville is a neat town as well. Highest incorporated city in the continental US. Million Dollar Highway is a must as well (Ouray to Durango) Stop at Box Canyon Falls on the south end of Ouray. If you want some pics of some of the places I stated above, email or PM me and I would be happy to send them. Oh yeah, if someone out there tells you that you should be wearing a helmet while riding those passes, tell them there isn't a helmet tough enough to survive going off the side. Ha Ha.

Also make sure to ride through Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes Park (north of Denver). Ride and views are breathtaking. Have fun and ride safe

Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
wideglide01
Advanced

Brain turned on again. Grand Junction to Montrose is a pretty shitty ride if you ask me. Seen some other posts recommending Hwy 92 throught he Black Canyon, yes on this. Joe Cockers restaraunt in Crawford is closed I think. At least I remember hearing that at one time. Not 100% on that. Not to throw more ideas at you, but east of Grand Junction is the Grand Mesa, nice riding on top of there as well. It's pretty hard to take a bad route in Colorado, the state is the most beautiful place I have ridden. Enjoy.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a safe trip Just wish I could join you.
Chabuya

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip - What do you think?