Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

"The Dragon"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:37 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default "The Dragon"

If you folks are planning on riding the "dragon" this summer, here are some things to remember...http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=47110
Lots of folks try to ride above their experience level and the capabilities of their rides.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the Dragon on the 2nd of july for the first time. I gotta say that it is not for beginners. That stretch of highway is a very serious road. I for one am very thankful that I didnt have an accident on that road. I had a tire failure the very next day and after seeing the tire, I thanked my spirits for watching over us. Here's pic of the tire. I will ride it again but that first time was the real deal.

Attached Thumbnails "The Dragon"-cid_070309_1624-00-.jpg  
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Tire

From the looks of that tire, someone was watching over you.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a great stretch of road and lots of fun if you approach it with the right mindset. Weekdays are the best time to ride it because the crowds are smaller and fewer sportbikes. But there are many less demanding and more scenic roads in the area that touring and cruiser riders might enjoy just as much or even more.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM
flyingdutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
I did the Dragon on the 2nd of july for the first time. I gotta say that it is not for beginners. That stretch of highway is a very serious road. I for one am very thankful that I didnt have an accident on that road. I had a tire failure the very next day and after seeing the tire, I thanked my spirits for watching over us. Here's pic of the tire. I will ride it again but that first time was the real deal.
Don't take this wrong, but you call that a tire failure? I call it a rider failure. Tires are going to wear out, you let it go that far, that's your bad.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's called the Dragon..but some people thinks it a Drag race with curves....
Plus it's the idiots with trailers and trucks that are the real danger crossing the yellow lines

Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 AM
rebelnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thumbs Up For The Thread

Ran the Dragon for the first time this past week. Took it conservative, especially since it was still wet form a morning rain, and had a good time. Didn't push it and still didn't have anyone crowding me from behind. Must have ben going the right direction as I had a crowd of sport bikes (from the Tenn. side) pass by heading back toward Deal's Gap. After it was over I found HWY 360 out of Vonore over to Cherohola Skyway a great ride and then then Skyway itself was fantastic.

Attached Thumbnails "The Dragon"-mountain-trip-098.jpg  

Last edited by rebelnc; 07-11-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

There so many roads up here that can rival the dragon and not have to worry about sport bike crazzies. 276 from waynesville toward rutherford then back on 215 going back. Longer ride take 74 from asheville to chimney rock and then back to bat cave and hi-9 toward oldfort. This is a nice ride part of the way with part that will get you in trouble. Then take 80 going north all the way to bakersville ,go toward redhill and then south to the first left ,double island road. This one will get your attention. Get a atlas /gazette from wally world for planing road trips. Just so many roads not on the regular maps or roads the gps don't show till already by it. Even down around the dragon there are many roads just good or in some eyes better.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:26 AM
jeepskeet
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hardluk1
There so many roads up here that can rival the dragon and not have to worry about sport bike crazzies.

Yup, I won't even waste my time..... I've lived two long to let some kid on a sportbike bought with Daddy's money take me out... They hit the dragon full of **** & vinegar to find out there in over there head after its to late.
Go to YouTube under Tail of the Dragon and you'll see some of it.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Pastor John
04 Gold Wing - God forgave me for buying it!
'07 Road King Classic - God forgave me for selling it!
'08 Road Glide - It's the bike Jesus rode!

That's good! Gave me a chuckle!

Quick Reply: "The Dragon"