Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Comments on Route to Sturgis From NW Louisiana

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:45 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That might be an interesting ride from the other two routes I mapped out. I normally like to mosey along at 60/65 mph. Will certainily consider it. Who knows, may just hang a left when I reach Nebraska City. Thanks

Old 07-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it makes any difference to you, Nebraska is a helmet law state that does not recognize any concealed carry permit but it's own. I was considering a backroad route through there until I learned this piece of info, so now the plan is to get off 29 south of Sioux Falls and go through Yankton.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Jeffbarb17 - Been there done that. It's all about the ride and the people you meet along the way, Sturgis just happens to be the mid-point. I do enjoy the Sturgis scene and I am a non-drinker/smoker and never did any drugs. I know that seems strange but I am 68 and somehow was never tempted in those vices. I also like the hustle bustle of Sturgis during the Rally. I do like motorcycles, preferably Harley's and riding one gives me immense pleasure.

Sharknose - As of 1 July 2009, the Governor of Nebraska officially recognized a number of States that now have recipricol agreements to carry in his State. Check Nebraska's concealed carry website and you will see that it is a new provision that amended the CCW reciprocity provision. You are correct about the helmet law, bummer but a number of States still have helmet laws. Louisiana recently had a repeal of the helmet law passed by the House but disapproved by the Senate so we will have to continue wearing our helmets here. Fortunately we have Texas next door which is a no-helmet State. I still take a helmet along and always put it on when I get into any Texas town or heavy traffic on the interstate.

At this point I am pretty sure I will be taking Highway 2 out of Nebraska City across the State and turning North to hit 385 into the heart of the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by snakeinthegrass
Sharknose - As of 1 July 2009, the Governor of Nebraska officially recognized a number of States that now have recipricol agreements to carry in his State. Check Nebraska's concealed carry website and you will see that it is a new provision that amended the CCW reciprocity provision.
Can you show me where you saw that? Both handgunlaw.us and the Nebraska State Patrol websites say that NE only honors their own.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Sorry Sharknose it was Kansas and not Nebraska - My Bad. Was doing a lot of research yesterday and got my States mixed up. Here is the article from the NRA site.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5023

I have wrestled with the idea of carrying a weapon on this trip (I have a CCW) but have decided to leave it at home. I would be worried about leaving it in my tent or try to keep it concealed in the Sturgis area, even though they allow CC. Just too much trouble. Sure hope I don't end up needing one. Would be a different story if I was in my Cage.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Thanks..I was afraid I had missed something. Good luck on the trip!