Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pa Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 AM
neversatisfied
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pa Road Trip

The wife and I usually head south for our road trips, southern Va., NC, etc....but this time we want to go to Pa and ride...western Pa....maybe to the Pa Grand Canyon. If you have taken a trip to this area or you live near there any advice, hints or tips would be great. Thinking of going in mid August.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts
Default PA Trip

I live in Wellsboro --- less than 10 miles from Grand Canyon. How many days out for you?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:52 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

neversatisfied when you going, if you end up in wellsboro let me know, have rode in the area before, but want to make it up again before summers over to hook up with geezerglide

Old 07-06-2009, 05:44 PM
paguy
Road Captain

Try to stay away from eastern Pa. A lot of traffic and not a lot of fun. The York plant is a nice visit. Harrisburgh north on 147, east side of river, picturesque.
Route 80, after Williamsport, breaks into mountains with a few clean rest stops.
Now the ride I feel is the best in the state is 120 out of Locke Haven. Two hours to St. Mary, streams, mountains, cliffs.
At St. Mary you can go north to 6, right turn to the canyon and to Wellsboro. Or, there is a small town in the National Forest, Kane. The Kane view motel welcomes bikers. Call, people around know this town and rooms sometimes are dear.
If you contact Geezer he may provide eating and lodgeing info for welllsboro.
Rode rt. 6 this weekend, good ride, you may want to drop south at 220. 11&15 south. you may want to stop at Gettysburgh.
The Pa. Wilds, that's where you are going is a special place with nice roads, cheap lodgeing and food. You can't go wrong.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:11 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

From where you live, get to I83 and take it to the Pa line. Get off, turn on your TomTom, (or whatever), pick a destination and ask for alternate routes. Anything in a Northerly direction is going to be a great ride through some beautiful country. Stick to the two lanes. Check out a map. There are all kinds of places. Abandoned coal mines that offer tours. Daniel Boones birth place, ski slopes, amish farms, little league hall of fame, worlds highest wooden bridge, Zippo factory, Fort Pitt, Presque Isle, Falling Waters, Delaware Water Gap, etc. Just be careful on the two lanes as evening approaches. Lots of deer and the occasional bear and/or Mt lion. Not to mention the cagers in their imaginary sports cars.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 369 Likes on 185 Posts

Don't wanna steal a thread, but this is ironic.My wife and I coming from Canada(just across from Detroit). Going to come across on I80 into Linesville That will be a full day with the border and all.Going to stop around Meadsville, then head for Wellsboro and spend a day or two. Gotta haul my butt back home after that,no rest for the wicked hehe.What's a good place to stay in Wellsboro, the coach stop inn looks good,so does the grand canyon resort.I would like some where to relax at night and have a few drinks lol. Thanks in advace for any info. Travel dates around july 16th or so.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
paguy
Road Captain

Send a message to Geezer. He lives in or near Wellsboro and can give some up to date info. There are a couple descent motels in Wellsboro. I'm not sure about good resturants and bars. Geezer will know.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:08 PM
neversatisfied
Cruiser

Thanks for the info...I will get in touch w/geezerglide

Old 07-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm away on business, so don't have the phone book to grab, but you can look up the phone numbers on-line. Since I live in Wellsboro, don't have to stay there & don't know the rates, but here are 3 motels right in town, where I see alot of bikes staying overnight. Canyon Motel, Sherwood Motel, and Penn-Wells Lodge. These are nice because you can walk around town in the evening (alot of people do), walk to a couple of places for dinner, and walk to the Wellsboro Diner for breakfast. I like this new place, The Wellsboro House, for dinner. About a 5 -10 minute walk from these 3 motels, or plenty of room to park the bikes. Get directions at check-in. Look up the numbers & call soon. Busy little town, and weekends are usually pretty full.