Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

1st Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:07 AM
RBurn
Intermediate
Location: Northern Calif.. No not SF... I mean Northern Calif!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st Road Trip

Well I was going with a friend who bailed... Oh well I'm going on my own. Taking my 09 FatBoy.

From Redding Calif through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana to Wyoming and back. Parks to see are Glacier National, Yellowstone.

About 2 weeks, no reservations, I do have family in Montana where i'll being spending the 4th at.

I think I have most of the gear i need, taking my back packing gear, so I'll be tent camping mostly.

Plan to bring some books to read, and mainly plan to relax. The 1st day will be the longest at about 550 miles. The rest are a few hundred or so a day. When i get to jackson Wyoming I do not have a plan to get back. So either back across idaho and down or down to utah and though Nevada and back....

Weather looks good for next ten days, YellowStone could be the wildcard as far as weather, but I'm hoping July will be a good month there.

I'm open to differnt places to stay and plan to stay longer or shorter depending on the spot.

To those in Washington. Any ideas on from Kennewick to Missoula? I thinking of taking I90 but i plan on camping along route 12. It looks like Route 12 runs across the whole way to missoula... Is this a interesting route?

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 AM
eskimoSG09
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from a trip that covered much of the same area you are going. Edmonton to Vancouver then to San Fran via the 101. Then to yosemite and Reno. After that to Salt Lake City then to Jackson and Yellowstone, the Beartooth to Billings and back to Edmonton. I have three pieces of advice:
1. If you stay in Jackson, have breakfast at a place called Babbas. Its on the main road. I recommend the smoked turkey omelet.
2. Aviod the I 80 across Nevada - very boring.
3. Enjoy the trip.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:02 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RBurn
Parks to see are Glacier National, Yellowstone.

Weather looks good for next ten days, YellowStone could be the wildcard as far as weather, but I'm hoping July will be a good month there.
+1 on the "wildcard"!

Did a similar trip in June last year, but in the family cage with wife and grandson. We started at Seattle, got as far east as Rapid City before looping south and heading back. We arrived at Yellowstone mid-June in the middle of a blizzard(!) It snowed every day we were there (4 days) and some park roads were closed each day.

However, except for Yellowstone, the weather was great and I regretted every day not being on the bike.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 06-28-2009, 01:39 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Leaving Jackson, you may want to go over Teton Pass and head down to Driggs, ID. Driggs is what Jackson was 20 years ago, which is bad news if you're a celebrity.

Once in ID, you've got options: south on I-15 to Salt Lake where you can pick up I-80; or take US 20 to Craters of the Moon and then work over to I-84; or take I-15 north back into MT to (just south of) Dillon to MT 278, work through the Big Hole to Wisdom, take MT 43 to Lost Trail Pass, pick up US 93 north through the Bitterroot to US 12 and ride Lolo Pass, fand work US 12 to Lewiston, and then to the Tri-Cities.

Just depends on how much time you have.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:00 AM
LodiJim
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are doing nearly the same trip from Lodi Ca taking 5 to 97 then 97 to 14 to 12. We have done the 12 to Missoula a couple of times a great ride. We are also going to Glacier then to Yellowstone then off to Mt Rushmore area. we will be hitting the road on 7/3 taking 2 weeks.