Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

need suggestions - long trip in july

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
patchedup
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need suggestions - long trip in july

Myself and 4 other bikes will be leaving chattanooga,tn in mid july. Route will be up I-81 to pa, over to the delaware water gap rec area on I -80, then up old mine rd along the delaware river to port jervis,ny and I 84.Next to i 495,bypassing boston, the I-95 up to portland maine, then us one to bar harbor, will stay there 3 nights, then ride up thru new brunswick, to amherst, nova scotia, next stop, halifax, then over to digby to ride the ferry back to st. john new brunswick. Then to bangor maine, then us two to gorham, n.h. Then to burlington vt on us 2 , then ride thru the the adirondacks, and the back down I 81 to home. Any tips on must things to see or do, places to stay, and favorite resturants will be appreciated!. The trip will last 14 days. Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 259 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by patchedup
Myself and 4 other bikes will be leaving chattanooga,tn in mid july. Route will be up I-81 to pa, over to the delaware water gap rec area on I -80, then up old mine rd along the delaware river to port jervis,ny and I 84.Next to i 495,bypassing boston, the I-95 up to portland maine, then us one to bar harbor, will stay there 3 nights, then ride up thru new brunswick, to amherst, nova scotia, next stop, halifax, then over to digby to ride the ferry back to st. john new brunswick. Then to bangor maine, then us two to gorham, n.h. Then to burlington vt on us 2 , then ride thru the the adirondacks, and the back down I 81 to home. Any tips on must things to see or do, places to stay, and favorite resturants will be appreciated!. The trip will last 14 days. Thanks
Hey patchedup --- Sort of familiar with some of this --- I'm from N Central PA. 81 in PA, 80, 84, and 495 will all be really busy until you get up past Boston. Good luck!!! I'm an outside sales rep & used to travel upstate NY. NH & VT will be fun. Stay on 2 out of Burlington & either take the ferry across Lake Champlain, or take 2 all the way to 11, which is almost all the way to Canada. Take 11 to Malone, and then 37 out of Malone. Stop in Massena & you might see some big ships go through the Eisenhower Locke. It's pretty cool. Then you can stay on 37 & it'll take you back down to 81 down near the 1000 Islands Bridge to Canada. There are some cool towns down near the thousand islands, like Alexandria Bay. Just take a ride into town for lunch. It's about 90 minutes north of Syracuse, where 37 runs into 81, near the bridge.

Also, if you cross Lake Champlain at Burlington, take NY route 9N to Rt 3 toward Lake Placid. Lake Placid's kind of a cool town (last time I was up there, the olympic ski jump was still there, and a luge or bobsled run that, I think, runs on wheels down the track in the summer), and Rt 3 is a great ride all the way back to Watertown, where you can get 81 again. Just take a good map -- the road's gotta come out somewhere! Have fun.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:56 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, you picked the wrong time of year for that trip. A Fall trip through that area would uplift the soul!!

July is gonna be HOT.

Good luck and take pics.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:30 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

We just stayed at the Citadel hotel in Halifax a few days ago.....liked the first day so much stayed a second day. The hotel is close to the wharf and all the bars and rest. The lower Deck is a great night spot...
If at all possible ride the scenic route down thru Peggy's Cove, climb the rocks and have lunch.....it's just west of Halifax and an easy ride to the hotels and downtown.
We're just getting on the ferry to Newfoundland tomorrow and coming back in 4 days to do The Cabot Trail, PEI and the Gaspe...before heading back to Toronto via Penn.
Have a great ride.....

Old 06-27-2009, 11:22 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the same type of trip, Savannah to Blue ridge parkway, rt 340 harpers ferry,26, 27 to Westminster,Some back roads to Rt 372, cross Susqueshanna river, To rt 30 , Doyestoen then over to Rt 32 along Delaware river to, Port Jervis ,17, 206, 30 along the North end of catskills, 28, 214 , 23A,cross Hudson river at Catskill,Pittsfield 7, 9 to Brattleboro,rt 9 to Portsmouth, then rt 1 and a few back roads to BAAA HAAAbor,St Stephens into to St Johns, over the ferry at Digby, then around the Bay of Fundy back into Maine Via Rt 6, over to Conway,NH farted around the White mountains, then Rt 2, Cross the Hudson at Port Henry rt 17, Lake Placad, Tupper lake, Old forge on rt 28 then down rt 12, rt 220, rt 15 down to Harisburg area, then back to the Blue ridge parkway.

ALot of information, no planned overnight stops, plenty of mom and pop motels, eats,camping. Roads thru SE Pa going around Philly was busy.
The whole trip was 3 weeks for me.
Sights: BRP, Rt 32 Del water gap (nice ride), catskills, Bar Harbor, St johns, NB (reversing falls, the ferry, Truro (tidal bore) and the massive high/ low tides along the bay, White mountains, Green Mountains, Adirondacks....etc, etc....

Old 06-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Buxtonite
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you leave Bar harbor be sure to ride the Schoodic Peninsula. Also, from Gorham NH take 16 south, ride up Mt. Washington, then 16 south to the Kancamagus highway, then I-93 back ti US 2. If you just take US 2 all the way from Maine to VT you'll be missing the most scenic section of your whole trip!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM
patchedup
2nd Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will reroute off hwy 2 at gorhan nh to 16 south over to the kankamangus hwy

Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM
hewhohesit8s
Advanced

As Jeff said in a previous post - ride the Cabot Trail if you can make the time from Halifax. It may be too much, but I have to say that Highway 7 from Halifax to Antigonish was a lot of fun too.