Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road trip up north and back south

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road trip up north and back south

Leaving Columbia SC on Saturday. Headed to the Youngstown OH area. Planning on a map but looking for advice on what to see or stay away from. Best route through the mountins ect ect. When done in Ohio, its off to the Blue Ridge and the Dragon. Have that one already planned.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
etstrine
Tourer

Classic,
We are originally from North Central OH and have taken the trip from Charlotte on the bike several times. With Youngstown being on the east side of Ohio you probably will not want to use this route going up, but coming back to the Smokey Mtn area try this. From Youngstown work your way over to Zanesville and take 93 & 13 to Athens. Take 50/32 to Jackson and pick up 93 again. Take this down to Ashland, KY and pick up 23. 23 is a four lane road the entire way to Asheville, but it is NOT a limited access highway and it is a very scenic, leisurely rout. Not a lot of traffic so you can still make good time. If you can make it to Jenny Wiley State Park for your overnight stop, I would recommend it. We have stayed at the lodge there (AAA discount $83 including tax). The rooms are a little dated but clean. Nice pool to help shake off the day in the saddle. The restaurant is great! Food is good, all you can eat and the price is right (2 can eat for $20 and this includes tip). Once you get to Asheville you can pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway and ride it over to Cherokee. Whatever way you decide to go, ride safe.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

Most likely going to run the interstate ( I-77) from Columbia to Marietta then run up Rt 7 from there. On the way back were planning the entire Blue Ridge to Cherokee. Then a quick trip to the Dragon then back to Columbia. I have 10 days so time isnt a factor. I looked for routes from Columbia to the Y-Town without using the freeway but there are too many variables and some out of the way. I just might do it anyways and just go with the flow. When were on our motorcycle, time is just a thing. I just dont want to be riding in West Va at night because of the number of deer there. Even though I have the deer whistles. Todays only Thursday so I have some time to really think about it. Friday is check the bike and pack day the off we go on Saturday.Dont really need to be in Ohio untill Sunday so who knows. Thanks for your tip. Im going to look at those routes you listed for a back up plan if something changes. I have been on US62 from Youngstown th Columbus many times so If we go that way I already know it that far. I can pick up 23 out of Columbus. Its good road all the way. Or at least it used to be.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 AM
etstrine
Tourer

Classic,
If you are going the entire BRP to Cherokee, and you have the time, I would highly recommend an over night stay in Roanoke, VA. Great downtown area with plenty to do. If you're in to this type of thing, there are two old hotels that are worth staying in, each has its' own bragging rights. One is the Patrick Henry. Last time I stayed there (7 or 8 years ago) it seemed like the place was left in a time warp. The rooms were very clean but the furnishings looked like they were original. It was a grand hotel in its' day. The second is the Hotel Roanoke. Very old but recently renovated and thus higher priced. Both have a great restaurant. The Hotel Roanoke has a walking bridge across the tracks that leads you to the downtown area and all of its' bars and restaurants. Anyway, have a great and safe trip.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain

TRIP NORTH-------North does'nt start until you cross the Canadian border and head to Alaska, your trip sounds like you are going around the corner.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

We have returned. Got home last night at about 1:00AM. Was an awesome trip. 1863 miles mostly in mountains and hills. Didnt get to the Blue Ridge this time because we spent an extra day in Ohio visiting family and friends and some riding with my brother in law and some buds I havnt seen for a while. Wound down through the Ohio countryside on RT9 from Salem to Cadiz, got on RT800 and took it to some unknown little burg (all by way of GPS least use of freeways) and caught another rout into Chilicothy (SP?) picked up US23 and rode it all the way to Johnson City Tenn. Took 321 into Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Spent a couple days riding the Smokey Mountin National Park, The Dragon and all those related routes. Got up friday morning and headed up 441 to Cherokee and had a flat tire on the way up to the top. Had to wait for a Park Ranger to drive by for help. No cell phone signal up there. Anyways, 3.5 hours later we were towed to Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson to get tires. We left there at about 6:45 or so and went on the Cherokee. Got there and messed around for a while and decided to push it on home. All in all, It was a great trip and we had alot of fun and met alot of good folks there. I took some picks and soon as I figure out how to post them, I will.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Phoenix Rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun!

Sounds likes a cool trip! Nothing better than a good time on a road trip...even with a flat tire. Will be happy to see your pics.