Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis - Red Lodge, Cody ride, who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:06 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sturgis - Red Lodge, Cody ride, who's done it?

Who's done it?

Friend of mine wants to do the Sturgis to Red Lodge Montana, through Yellowstone and back up through Cody. How's the roads heading out that way as far as speed limit, are they highway speeds or slower going. How feasable is a 3 day trip for this ride?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

We did a similar ride last year on our return to Nevada from Sturgis.
First day was a fairly liesurley ride to Devil's Tower then on to Billings.
Next day to Red Lodge, over Bear Tooth, down Chief Joseph, thru Cody,
southeast entrance to Yellowstone. Did a loop so my partner could see Old Faithful.
Spent the night about 20 miles south of Jackson.
With the exception of Bear Tooth and Yellowstone you'll make good time.
There's a country road, 14, that goes from Gillette to Sheridan that's a bit longer but
way better than the highway.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 PM
harley9607
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have done the Sturgis to Red Lodge, took about a day to get to Red Lodge. Spent the night in Red Lodge and the next day we did the Bear Tooth Pass. I personally think 3 days is not long enough to do Yellowstone go to Cody and ride back through the Big Horn Mts.There is a lot to see out there and beautiful country. The roads are good and twisty so you won't be going at interstate speeds.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The speed limit out this way are 75 (and in WY). So, you could get from SD to the Yellowstone area quickly enough, though you'll miss some of the best two-lane riding in the west.

But once you're there......traffic will crawl.

But, isn't that what you want?

In the summer, especially ±1 week of Sturgis, the Yellowstone area will be crowded and traffic in Park and all the "gateway towns" will be heavy with people just like you.

So, if you want to make time....not the best time of year.

If you want an adventure with a bunch of people doing the same.....could be a lot of fun.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did that ride last year going the other way. If you take I-90 to Red Lodge, over the Beartooth Pass and into the Park. I-90 is 75 most of the way. Once you get to hwy 212, I believe the speed limit was 55 or 60. But you are going to want to stop and take some pics as you cross the Beartooth Pass.

If your buddy has to see Yellowstone, I'd ride one day to Yellowstone, 1 day in Yellowstone and another day getting home. If he doesn't want to ride in Yellowstone, stop at Cooke City before entering the Park and take hwy 296 (Chief Joseph Hwy). Equally impressive scenery on that road.

That will take you into Cody and from there, I concur with the previous poster, I liked hwy 14. You should be able to do it in three days, but if your buddy has to do Yellowstone, you are going to have to haul *** and for me personally, that's not how I would choose to see that area of the country. Have fun, it's gonna be a blast.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:32 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

A few years ago we went to Sturgis, then Yellowstone. We rode Sturgis to Cody easily in one day, then into Yellowstone for a couple nights. I think there's so much to see in Yellowstone you'll regret not spending at least 2-3 days there sight-seeing. A bike is an awesome way to sight-see around yellowstone.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 PM
SMOKEin
Tourer

Cody, Red Lodge, Bear Tooth, etc are all great rides. I wish I had taken more time to stop for pics and enjoy the area though.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it last year, rode from SoCal to Denver and met up with all my buds there.
We rode up thru Fort Collins to Jackson Hole, spent a few days riding the Tentons, Yellowstone and all over and then up thru Cody and across to Spearfish and into Sturgis, what a great ride we had last year, hope this year it is even better

Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

We're headed to Cody and Yellowstone for 3 days following Sturgis...can't wait!!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Great ride, done it many times. Easy to do in 3 days. Plenty of space, and speed limits have never been a problem. We ride pretty hard, and have never had any problems. Great country.

Quick Reply: Sturgis - Red Lodge, Cody ride, who's done it?