Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Smoky Mtn Campground ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 AM
twoseas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoky Mtn Campground ?

I will be going to the Smoky Mountains bringing the fifth wheel and the bike during the second week in August.

I was wondering if anyone has some advice on where to base my camp and enjoy riding the smokies ?

I would be coming up I-59 and most likely jumping onto I-75 and would like to stay to the south west or west of the smokies but close enough that I can ride up and down the mountains daily.

I see where hwy 411 or hwy 64 -74 might be a consideration. If you have some info on campgrounds in that area, please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Hog Hvn
Tourer

Follow 411 to Seiverville Pigeon Forge. 321(Wears Valley road) would be hell with a fifth wheel.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be in that area myself Aug. 8th-14th. If you'd like we can hook up for a ride or two. Hit the Tail, the PKWY or one of the other great rides.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot to say, I can't help you with much information as this will be my first time there. We're staying in Gatlinburg as we've got a time-share there.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Hidalgo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call the good folks at Smoky Mtn HD in Maryville TN and tell them what you need/want. They are just outside of the Smoky Mtn Natl Park and most of the salesmen there ride the area. There are numerous campgrounds in the area. Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg are extremely congested this time of year. Ride carefully when in those two cities. You might also want to consider the "other side" of the Park in the Cherokee NC area also.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:59 PM
twoseas
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I'll be in that area myself Aug. 8th-14th. If you'd like we can hook up for a ride or two. Hit the Tail, the PKWY or one of the other great rides.
I'm still researching where we will end up at but I will contact you if we'll be in your neck of the woods.

Ray

Old 06-20-2009, 03:00 PM
twoseas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hidalgo
Call the good folks at Smoky Mtn HD in Maryville TN and tell them what you need/want. They are just outside of the Smoky Mtn Natl Park and most of the salesmen there ride the area. There are numerous campgrounds in the area. Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg are extremely congested this time of year. Ride carefully when in those two cities. You might also want to consider the "other side" of the Park in the Cherokee NC area also.
Thanks for the tip...I'll give them a call !

Ray

Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The quieter side of the Smokies is northwest of the Park in Townsend. We like Tremont Hills Campground and Big Meadows Campground. Big Meadows will handle your fifth wheel better, especially if your bike is in the trailer since their pull-throughs are spacious and open.

From there, lots of great places for day rides: Foothills Parkway to the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, HD Dealer in Maryville, and of course, the Smokies. All are easily reached from a Townsend basecamp.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 AM
twoseas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pastor John
The quieter side of the Smokies is northwest of the Park in Townsend. We like Tremont Hills Campground and Big Meadows Campground. Big Meadows will handle your fifth wheel better, especially if your bike is in the trailer since their pull-throughs are spacious and open.

From there, lots of great places for day rides: Foothills Parkway to the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, HD Dealer in Maryville, and of course, the Smokies. All are easily reached from a Townsend basecamp.

Thanks Pastor...I will research this.

Ray

Old 06-21-2009, 12:32 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Smokies Camping

+1 On 321 and the Townsend area. Great place to cover the whole area from. Not nearly as congested as any other area near the Smokies and very convenient. You can get off I-75 at the Lenoir City exit (which is hwy321) turn right and you will wind up in Townsend. You will also pass Smoky Mountain HD in Maryville in route.

Quick Reply: Smoky Mtn Campground ?