Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pocono Mountains Area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Grousehunter
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Pocono Mountains Area?

Thinking about a four day trip to this region from SE Michigan. I really don't know anything about the Pocono Mtn area. Would you all suggest this as a worthwhile destination? Is the riding in the area good? I was planning on taking US 6 accross northern PA and then dropping down. I would welcome any suggestions re things to see, places to stay, roads to ride, and time to allocate.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Grousehunter
Thinking about a four day trip to this region from SE Michigan. I really don't know anything about the Pocono Mtn area. Would you all suggest this as a worthwhile destination? Is the riding in the area good? I was planning on taking US 6 accross northern PA and then dropping down. I would welcome any suggestions re things to see, places to stay, roads to ride, and time to allocate.

Thanks in advance.
I live in Wellsboro. N Central PA. 6 goes right through it. My advice ---- stay in the western 1/2 of PA! I'm not crazy about riding east from here. It's OK, I guess, but central & western PA are so much nicer. Also, Poconos is all bedroom NYC. Pretty commercialized & busy. I can tell you route numbers for great rides, you can go watch hang-gliding, Benezette has the largest free-roaming elk population east of Colorado, PA Grand Canyon is about 10 miles from my house --- lots of stuff in western PA. I can leave the house & get home with sometimes over 300 miles on rthe bike, and I never get tired of it. Lemme know if you want details.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Hey Grousehunter. There's a post here that's entitled PA Road Trip, and there's a picture of the PA Grand Canyon on it, about which I was telling you.

Jim

Old 06-16-2009, 03:30 PM
fjm3rd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a ride I want to take some time. To the PA GC

Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 AM
paguy
Road Captain

Gizer is right. A lot of New York and Jersey traffic in the Poconos. The western part of the state is nice. Rte 6, route 44, 287, 414 are all great rides. Watch out fo deer and sharp turns.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Grousehunter
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Thanks!

You guys have given me something new to think about. Cuts a long half day off the trip each way too. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grousehunter

Thanks in advance.
Hey Grousehunter --- Private Message me with your email address, and I'll give you a few days of some great rides in Central & Western PA, as well as a few places for some good burgers where the bikers stop, route numbers, things to see, time to allocate, ---- stuff like that, that you could miss even with a map.

Jim

Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

I live out in the North East , im about 15 min From the Delaware Water Gap..Now since the schools have been getting out there is def going to be more traffic here in the Poconos..I know some routes that go along the rivers around here and, but some of the backroads and everything out here arent the greatest to travel, I actually think we have some of the worst roads here..bumpy, pot holes u name it we got it, still not bad though I like to ride anywhere