Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

more nova scotia questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default more nova scotia questions

i am really close to finalizing trip and fear that i will have many more questions, anyway - here is todays.

google says that the trip from saint john NB to pictou NS by way of coastal sunrise trail is about 4 hours and 228 miles. sound right? with a few casual stops to you think that is about a 6 or 7 hour day? two bikes with wives.

also, any suggestions on where to stay arounf ingonish up on the trail?

thx - tin

Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saint John to Pictou.....

I live along your route (on Hwy 366 at Amherst Shore/Northport). It is an easy day's drive. From Saint John, NB to Amherst, NS is a good highway - much of it 4 lane. I suggest using Route 6 to just outside Amherst, then Route 366. It is a very scenic loop that brings you back to Route 6 (and past my house - stop in! House number 6327 on the ocean side of the road). Pick up Rte 6 at Port Howe and follow it to Pictou. Try not to do the Amherst to Pictou portion at night - lots of deer/bear/moose - seriously. Need more help? PM me - I've done Mass to here lots of times. I also suggest Hwy 1 thru Maine to the NB border - crossing at Calais ME to St. Stephen NB, or island hop to NB from Lebec ME. That's a fun and scenic portion of the trip. Good luck! Ride safe.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default I missed the Ingonish question the first time...

Keltic Lodge. No question. Make reservations. Pricey but remarkable. Play the golf course there - Highland Links. Awesome.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,106 Likes on 3,650 Posts

Beautiful scenery up that way...I grew up in Northern NB...southern part is nice...Morning with the fog and the sun coming out makes for nice pictures....Try the lobster rolls in the little hole in the wall restaurants and the Poutines....Rapures or "rappies" in NS are good ...

Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

you guys are the best, rob - i may take you up on some very local knowledge

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by robfaulkner
I live along your route (on Hwy 366 at Amherst Shore/Northport). It is an easy day's drive. From Saint John, NB to Amherst, NS is a good highway - much of it 4 lane. I suggest using Route 6 to just outside Amherst, then Route 366. It is a very scenic loop that brings you back to Route 6 (and past my house - stop in! House number 6327 on the ocean side of the road). Pick up Rte 6 at Port Howe and follow it to Pictou. Try not to do the Amherst to Pictou portion at night - lots of deer/bear/moose - seriously. Need more help? PM me - I've done Mass to here lots of times. I also suggest Hwy 1 thru Maine to the NB border - crossing at Calais ME to St. Stephen NB, or island hop to NB from Lebec ME. That's a fun and scenic portion of the trip. Good luck! Ride safe.
rob, just took a look at the map. can you explain the island hop some more. are there ferries? are they like the ones on the way to the hamptons on long island or something bigger. how do you do that route and how long does it take?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:51 AM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default NB Island hopping....

Leave Hwy 1 in NB at St. George, drive to the coast to the ferry that goes to Deer Island. I think it operates hourly. Low or no cost. Then from Deer Island take ferry to Campobello Island. Campobello Island connects to the mainland at Lubec, ME via a bridge. From Lubec it's a short ride back to Hwy 1 along Me's coast, down toward Bar Harbour (Bah Habah to you New Englanders - LOL!). I think each ferry ride is about 1/2 hour. I did it that route in 07 as past of a ride to Bar Harbour. Riding time was not much more than if I took the roads, and it made for a good diversion. Rob