Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road trip from Western Wy, Colorado, New Mexico, Tex, Arizona, Utah and to Wyo

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 AM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Road trip from Western Wy, Colorado, New Mexico, Tex, Arizona, Utah and to Wyo

Wife and I are getting ready to head out on our big summer trip, June 12, we take lots of 3 and 4 day trips, but allways take 1 two weeker every summer, looking for any advice or sugestions on route or places to go. We'll planning on 2 laning down thru Gunnison Co, might spend the first night there, then on down to Santa Fe, have a room reserved there for 3 nights, gonna ride around that area, visit with some from friends from Kentucky who are coming out at the same time. Will head south out of there, spend the next nite in Hobbs NM, my wife likes going thru there since here grandfather founded the town, he just lived there a few years, but the town is named after him. From there heading on down to San Antonio, will ride in the Hill Country a few days, and vist with our daughter and family who are planning on meeting us there, still debating on a little on how we are heading back but right now the plan is to head west to Tucson, Tombstone area's head north up thru Arizona and Utah back into Western Wyoming, Sure wish there was something better than I 10 to go from San Antonio over to Tucson, but doesn't look like anything much out there, any ideas on that? Anybody got any good suggestions on going north thru Arizona, I haven't traveled much at all there,except for I 40 in a cage, was thinking of heading up to Show Low from Tucson, twp lane up to the Grand Canyon, been there several times, but like to go by it when I'm in the area, then we'll two lane it up thru Utah to home in Wyoming. Probably going to be a bit hot down south this time of year, but it's the best time for meeting friends and family along the way, especially the grand daughter down in San Antonio. Any info appreciated

Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

south rim and cross over Navajo bridge rt 89a Marble canyon, At the bridge stay at the hotel only one for another 100 miles then continue on rt 64 and 89....you won't regret it...

Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 PM
wyoming55
Tourer

Thanks katobird, any West Tex or az riders with any advice?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 AM
htc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few suggestions going north with pictures and a map... ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harriki...7618723027938/

Have a safe trip. I envy you already!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want to hit the national parks or just see countryside? Highway 89 out of Arizona has two choices. North on 89 to Page then back to Kanab before turning north again. Or 89A through to Colorado City then north to Kanab and further north into Utah proper.

Be careful in Colorado City, that's where the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints live/work. These are the plural wifes groups, and they don't get real friendly with strangers handing around the women.

When on 89 you can jump over to Zion National Park pretty easy on Highway 9. It will be just south of Mt Carmel (it's the Mt Carmel Junction). Beautiful ride both into the park and in the park. But you can't park in the park ... at least not long term. Lots of turnouts on the road through the park, though, so you can stop long enough to get a few pictures. Here's a pic from one of those turnouts in Zion.

If you stay on 89 north you'll hit some nice area. I personally love the ride from 89 over to I-15 on Highway 14, which takes you over Duck Creek and Cedar Mountain. Elevation of 10,000+ feet around Duck Creek. Nice twisties on parts of it and the Alpine forest are beautiful.

Highway 14 will bring you into Cedar City, UT (my home!) where you can get a decent hotel for $50 a night. Cedar is a nice little town with a university. If the wife (or you, for that matter) like Broadway type productions then you'll have to see the Utah Shakespearean Theater on the campus of Southern Utah University. The theater group won a couple Tony Awards for best regional production company. I've seen several Broadway shows and I'd put just about anything our local theater does up against most of the Broadway stuff. Production value is superb, and we even get some pretty big names in here from time to time.

http://bard.org/

Also, if you come over on 14 to Cedar you can ride I-15 about 50 miles north to Beaver before you drop back east over the mountains again to meet 89. This will put you right in the middle of the Paiute Trail system. The pic below is just off the trail near the Beaver area.

This last one is actually a bit farther west that what you've been seeing so far. It is on the road outside of Gunlock, UT, which is west of St George. I like taking this road from the I-15 cutoff through the Virgin River Gorge. I can skip I-15 north and end up about 30 miles west of Cedar City on Highway 14. So that may be a good choice. Run 90 to 9, then through Zion National Park on 9 back to Hurricane. Stay west to the far side of St George and head out of town toward Gunlock.

I also like the road (18) out of St George toward Snow Canyon State Park and the Dammeron Valley. Highway 18 will take you north to Enterprise (a friendly little town) and eventually hook up with Highway 56, which will then take you back to Cedar City.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 AM
wyoming55
Tourer

Thanks much Doc, that is a lot of good info, Much appreciated

Old 06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
wyoming55
Tourer

Thanks HTC, nice pics you have, much appreciated

Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 PM
wyoming55
Tourer

Got back last night, had a great time, sure would have liked to just keep on riding, didn't go to every place we thought we would, spent more time at some than we thougt, went 4715 miles, will post some oics when I get a chance.