Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Summer Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:46 AM
LVRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Summer Ride

So, I'm planning this ride to Colorado this summer. I will be attaching a map of the ride from H-D Ride Planner. I hope it works, haven't had much luck with them.

Ok, some questions...If you all can see it...

What would be the best time of year to do this ride? The first part is major highways, but the second half is not. I am concerned with time on the second half, as it is hard for me to get time off. It looks like the second half will have some amazing photo ops.

Here it goes...

Old 06-06-2009, 05:47 AM
LVRider
Intermediate

well, apparently it did not work. I am trying to attach a link to the page on the H-D Ride Planner. any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:48 AM
LVRider
Intermediate
Old 06-06-2009, 05:53 AM
LVRider
Intermediate

Ok, I guess that worked...at least for my eyes...

I am planning for 4 days. I could probably get 5. Looking forward to comments.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Ride-redwoods.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:40 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Colorado Rockies are incredible. You're hitting some of the great places.

SW Colorado is one of the prettiest places in the world. The ride from Montrose to Ouray is awesome. (If you have some time, rent a Jeep and go up into Yankee Boy Basin, or the like.) From Ouray to Silverton to Durango.....man. Something else.

You're going to have a great time! Post some pics when you get back!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a suggestion...break off of I-15 just north of St. George and push up Hwy 9 through Zion National Park. You'll spit out the East side of the park and hook up with Hwy 89 and run it up to I-70.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Before you finalize look at www.motorcyclecolorado.com. Very informative. Would suggest July or August. Stay hydrated and don't forget rain gear. You will need it. Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Last edited by wood butcher; 06-07-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Originally Posted by LVRider
Ok, I guess that worked...at least for my eyes...

I am planning for 4 days. I could probably get 5. Looking forward to comments.
Considering the amount of time not a bad route. A lot more time on I70 than I would care for but if you need to make time(which you do) I70 is a very scenic interstate. The second half of the Colorado experience you will like a lot. Faber hit the nail on the head. While traveling to Montrose I would suggest a stop in Gunnison at the Black Canyon. The rest of the way south is great and would love to hear about your experience on the Million Dollar Highway. Can be a real crotch tingler. There are too many awesome roads in Colorado to visit in the short time you will be hear but I think the route you are planning will bring you back to see more. Enjoy your trip and mount a camera so you can take pictures while riding. Post the results when you get back.

Last edited by wood butcher; 06-07-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim is right, you want to run through Zion National Park and then onto 89. The route you're taking is okay, but it's not nearly as scenic as what I'm gonna give you here. First off the ride across southern Utah on 89 (Kanab to Page) is fairly mundane compared to the ride up to 12 and across. Second, the ride in Kayenta and across the Hopi nation is not nearly as scenic.

Here's a route I'd suggest strongly ...

1. St. George, UT, north to 9 and across to Zion National Park. You'll love the ride in and especially up through the tunnel

2. North on Highway 89 through Mt Carmel Junction, Orderville, and Hillsdale as you head for Highway 12. The ride along Highway 89 is beautiful with lots of photo ops.

3. Utah Highway 12 east from 89. Highway 12 is also called the Journey Through Time Byway, so you'll get an idea of what's on it. I've ridden the Dragon and many other roads and I'll take the ride across 12 any day over those others. Better scenery and a lot fewer cars.

4. Stop at Bryce Canyon if you have time. If not just enjoy the ride across Highway 12. One of my favorite areas to ride is from Tropic to Escalante. This will take you over 10,000 feet and the temperatures will be pretty nice at that time of the year.

5. Head toward Highway 24 outside of Torrey, UT. The scenery will change dramatically as you move from Alpine forests near Boulder to high desert plateau. You'll then jump on 24 as you head toward Fruita, UT (pic below), and Capitol Reef National Park. Pretty dramatic scenery here as well, including the Devil's Backbone. That part of the ride will take you over some roads that have pretty much a sheer drop on either side of the highway.

6. Near Hanksville, UT, you'll hit Highway 95 (also known as the Trail of the Ancients), which will take you back south toward the Glen Canyon National Rec Area and south of Canyonlands National Park. Be sure to fill up with gas before you hit this road since it's about 120 miles between pit stops. Also, the area around Hanksville is a lot like the area you'll find between Kanab, UT, and Page, AZ, and down into the Hopi range of northern Arizona you've got listed.

7. Once you're on Highway 95 you'll have a chance to hit Highway 261, which takes you down to Monument Valley, or cut over to 191 which allows you to cut back to the Four Corners area. That brings you back to your original spot from northern Arizona.

Overall this leg will not add that many more miles, but it will sure be worth it. If you've not been in this part of the country before then you will like it a lot more than the Page-Hopi range of Arizona.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
LVRider
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses... I hope to do this in late July. I will be taking the 70 to Idaho Springs due to time constraints. I can do that in a day. That way I'll have 3 days to enjoy the second half. I'm also planning on driving to the top of Mt. Evans. I will do my best to post photos when I get them...don't always have the best luck doing that on here..prolly ask for help when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Summer Ride