Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Hatton Ferry in Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009 | 03:36 PM
troutphisher
|
Advanced
Default Hatton Ferry in Virginia

Here are a few pictures from this Saturaday of a trip I took across the James River on the Hatton Ferry at Scottsville, Virginia. The Hatton Ferry is only one of two poled ferries in the U.S. Unfortunately, at the end of June it will be closed forever due to budget cuts.

The ferry operates with out the aid of any type of engine. Cables are adjusted to angle the ferry against the river current which pushes it to the other side with help from a fiberglass pole.

Cars being loaded on the ferry. Only two cars are allowed at a time, plus my bike.

My bike on the ferry.

Looking up the James River. The river level is up about 3 feet above normal due to all of the rain we
have had.

Ferry loaded up, getting ready to cross the river.

Half way across

The ferry operator adjusting some cables.

Made it to the other side.

View of the town of Scottsville, Virginia.

Thanks for viewing,

Mike

Old 06-05-2009 | 10:42 PM
GAgirlTrixie
Intermediate

Great pics! I grew up in Lynchburg. I have never had a chance to do the ferry. Sadly, it sounds like now I never will. Thanks for posting. I always wondered what it looked like...

Old 06-06-2009 | 10:07 PM
Fross923
Advanced

I ride to Scotsville several times a year to eat lunch but never been across the ferry. Where is the next major road or town after you cross the river

Old 06-06-2009 | 10:30 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

That was cool dude...

Old 06-07-2009 | 06:12 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Great pics and thanks for the info. We've always talked about riding the ferry but never have done it. So now knowing it will stop operating, guess we will do it today.

Old 06-08-2009 | 02:19 PM
user45
Cruiser

Thanks for sharing your ride. Would have liked to done that crossing but it looks like I'll never get to.

Old 06-08-2009 | 04:14 PM
troutphisher
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fross923
I ride to Scotsville several times a year to eat lunch but never been across the ferry. Where is the next major road or town after you cross the river

Fross923, if you are coming from Rte 6 side once you cross the river the road leads to Rte 20.

Old 06-08-2009 | 07:25 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Went there yesterday and the river was too swift for the ferry to operate. Only 3 more weekends to try to cross on it since it will close the end of this month. I was told that it only takes about $20,000 per year to run it and the state is cutting the funding. This state wastes more money than that in a day or less. Those interested need to make some calls to State Delegates, Senators and the Governor I guess.

Old 06-10-2009 | 05:50 AM
troutphisher
|
Advanced

Ultra 08, sorry you was not able to cross on the ferry. Try again if the river level drops. You are right about the state and wasting money. This is a piece of history my kids will never be able to enjoy when they are older. Once the ferry is gone due to limited funds it will never be brought back in service if the money is ever there.

Old 06-11-2009 | 08:08 PM
Fross923
Advanced

I'm going to try to get a group for ride next sunday to scotsville and ride the ferry, how many bikes can go at one time?

Quick Reply: Hatton Ferry in Virginia