Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding a New Steel Pony Home

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:22 AM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding a New Steel Pony Home

Hello all... heading about 350+ miles to pick up my bike sometime within the next couple of weeks. I was considering using my friend's trailer, heading out, picking it up, and trailering it home. 14+ hours (out, and back) on the road is a lot, however. I've got the bright idea it would be easier to fly out (I've got a free flight coming from Northwest) and ride the bike back. I can get valid insurance for the way home, but here's the problem- I won't have tags yet. I can't get tags for it prior to the trip because Ohio has to inspect the bike if it's an out of state purchase. Any suggestions?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

Dealer purchase? Won't they give you temporary tags?

If a private sale, then I would borrow some tags from a buddy, slap em on and ride it home carefullly so as to not get pulled over. Done it many times. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBiker
Hello all... heading about 350+ miles to pick up my bike sometime within the next couple of weeks. I was considering using my friend's trailer, heading out, picking it up, and trailering it home. 14+ hours (out, and back) on the road is a lot, however. I've got the bright idea it would be easier to fly out (I've got a free flight coming from Northwest) and ride the bike back. I can get valid insurance for the way home, but here's the problem- I won't have tags yet. I can't get tags for it prior to the trip because Ohio has to inspect the bike if it's an out of state purchase. Any suggestions?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:28 AM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser

I've got tags on my current bike- if I get pulled over will I get hammered?

Last edited by BuckeyeBiker; 06-04-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

probably. but its a risk i would be willing to take in order to ride it home. I'm not suggesting you do it. just saying it's what i would do. I've done it several times without getting caught. Don't know what the penalty would be.

If it's a dealer purchase, they won't let you do it.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 AM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

couldnt a bill of sale be proof that you just bought the bike and you are on your way home

Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 AM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by krub6t9
couldnt a bill of sale be proof that you just bought the bike and you are on your way home
My thoughts precisely. I would think any reasonable LEO would understand. "How else was I to get it home, officer?"

Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 PM
jlevin75
Cruiser

When I bought my bike I rode it home sameday. I had valid insurance so the moco issued me a temp registration. I've seen temporaries for cars that were purchased out of state as well. Contact the dealer and find out

Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 PM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jlevin75
When I bought my bike I rode it home sameday. I had valid insurance so the moco issued me a temp registration. I've seen temporaries for cars that were purchased out of state as well. Contact the dealer and find out
Unfortunately, it's a private seller.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:06 AM
tugdrivinj
Cruiser

you can probably get temp tags from the local dmv even if it's out of your own state. then just bring all the info in when you get to where you're going. but you might wanna call the local dmv from where you're picking the bike up. it could make for as long of a day as trailering.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

if it where me put your tags on that baby and ride it home,but then again i'am not 20 any more.
live and learn
my advice put in on trailer bring it home,a 7 hr road trip is in order after all is legal.
not worth it !!

Quick Reply: Riding a New Steel Pony Home