Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tent Camping

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 PM
offshoreguy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tent Camping

I am planning to try some tent camping in Arkansas in June. Question I am asking is what tent to buy?????? I need a tent i can load on the bike and is a breeze to set up! Also will ues this tent at Sturgis for a week of fun!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check with a store that sells camping gear in your area. The can go over size, ease in set up and packabilty.

If you think you have one or two models in mind. Enter them in an internet search for reviews and best price.

Some are OK with a one man tent while others want more space inside. Personal preference is all part of the choice in what works for you.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM
hewhohesit8s
Advanced

I just purchased the Hubba Bubba this week and set it up a few times. It was a piece of cake to set up , tear down and repack. I did a bit of research and it's clear that the tent will serve me well on my month long trip to the coast, down to CA, and back via TX. It can be used without the rain fly on clear nights and has a full screen inner. I also got the footprint to extend the life of the tent. I got the XL Thermarest pad for more sleep comfort and waterproof carry case for it.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

I got a small two man tent for the wife and I, we picked it up at one of those large BackPack/Outdoor stores.. some kinda coop (REI I think?). Anyway the thing is tiny when its packed up, its made for carrying around on a back pack and is a great space saver for my wife and I on our bikes.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 AM
jimmie d wad
Tourer

ive been sleepin in eurica tents for about 7 years never got wet.look for a tent that has d rings about half way up the side.this helps stiffen the tent up.so its not laying on you in those sweet sturgis storms.spray some silicon sealer on it.also have a therma rest pad.there a must have

Old 05-30-2009, 09:18 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2 man Eureka for the past 10yrs. works great last along time never got wet, yeah it's not an instant tent but sets up in 10 minutes. fits in Tourpac, and it's a great option when weather is good, I've been camping on bikes for 30+yrs and the hotel thing works well every 2-3 day or weather related, plus age kinda directs you to a hotel sometimes

Old 05-30-2009, 09:52 PM
fisherguy54
Advanced

I bought a Cabels tent a few years age. Withstood some really high winds and rain at Sturgis last year. A great tent and packs into a small size. It's a two person tent but is great for one and some gear.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:07 PM
vulcanater
Road Captain

Originally Posted by offshoreguy
I am planning to try some tent camping in Arkansas in June. Question I am asking is what tent to buy?????? I need a tent i can load on the bike and is a breeze to set up! Also will ues this tent at Sturgis for a week of fun!
Sounds like it will be a blast. Me and some friends are trying to plan a trip to the Ozarks too. Just can't seem to get everyone together at the same time.
Look at Walmart. They have a 2 person tent that is small and pretty light. I think it's less than $25.00. Also, I found some nice tents at Target and Academy. They have some that are like 9'x9' and 9'x8' for under $40.00. Just depends on what size you want. Are you going by yourself or will you be sharing the tent with some one?

If you are ever gonna be over in my area riding PM me or email me and I'll try to meet you. We ride to Natchitoches some times and eat at Cane River Bar and Grill.

Edit: I looked at your pics. Looks like we ride the same places some. That's a nice ride.

Chop On,
Robert

Attached Thumbnails Tent Camping-my-night-train-046.jpg  

Last edited by vulcanater; 05-31-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The MSR Hubba tents are nice.

I've been using an REI Half Dome 2 man backpacking tent for the past 6 years for car and bike camping. It's a rectangular floor plan with 2 entrances and 2 vestibules for stashing gear outside the doors but away from the elements. The tent straps nicely to the top of my saddle bag or atop my sissy bar bag.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoreguy
What's your price range?

I, personally, carry a Clark Hammock. Pricey, but it's well worth it.

Pretty much you should figure out the following:
1) How much are you willing to spend?
2) How much space are you willing to dedicate to it?
3) What are the maximum dimensions you are willing to carry?
4) What weather do you expect to be in?
5) How much stuff are you putting in the tent?

Then, find something that works within your parameters. I'd start with REI (or any dedicated outdoors store) and shop around. Hell, Harley sells a tent (though it looked like a real stinker when I played with it...)

Also, don't forget about all the other items associated with the tent. Ground cloth and sleeping pads are important.

Quick Reply: Tent Camping