Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tent Camping

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
Main thing to remember about riding and camping, you waste a lot of time. No, not setting up or tearing down. If you'e in a humid type climate, you have to air all that stuff out before you stow it, else it's not going to last long for you and it will mildew. Which means in a good part of the country, you'll be 10:00 or later getting on the road.
If you have a tent with a separate rain fly, then you only need to give that a good shake before packing it. The tent itself will be fine. If you're really concerned put your rain fly in its own stuff-sack (<$10 at a camping store).

Whenever I'm bike camping, I'm on the road by 8, unless the dawn hatch is a good one

Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej

Main thing to remember about riding and camping, you waste a lot of time. No, not setting up or tearing down. If you'e in a humid type climate, you have to air all that stuff out before you stow it, else it's not going to last long for you and it will mildew. Which means in a good part of the country, you'll be 10:00 or later getting on the road.
Faber had a good point, but I do things a little different.

I shake the whole thing out before packing and then I will unpack the tent within 24 hours (the next night, actually) so it won't mildew. Then, before storage, I thoroughly clean and dry all gear before storage.

For the most part, my gear isn't stored in stuff sacks to help extend service life.

I can set up camp in under half an hour. Not tent set up, I'm talking from the time I take the key out of the ignition to the time my butt is in my Kermit chair with a glass of rum is about 25 minutes.

It's about 45 minutes to break camp and pack the bike.

I'm actually heading out this weekend to go camping to do a little gear testing with the woman. She'll be trying out a few of my tents, I'll be trying out my ear plugs.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacon_Grease
...I'm actually heading out this weekend to go camping to do a little gear testing with the woman. She'll be trying out a few of my tents, I'll be trying out my ear plugs.
HILARIOUS!! Please let us know how well the earplugs perform!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bacon_Grease,

You're right: when you get home, you need to unpack, dry out, clean, and repair all your gear right away. I was simply talking about breaking camp.

Good tents these days are meant for stuff-sacks. Since I do a lot of 4-season backpacking here in Montana, I get stuff intended for that: strong, light, and meant to pack small. It ain't cheap, but my gear has never failed me, even above timberline in winter.

For bike camping, that kind of stuff is great. I can throw my sleeping bag, my tent (which packs smaller than my sleeping bag), stove/cooking stuff/food, clothes, etc. into a dry sack (or my backpack) and bungee it and my thermarest to my sissy bar. Tie my tool bag to the other side of the sissy bar, and I'm good. Only need to hit town for more food and fuel.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Home_
All the camping gear in one place so you can compare Manufacturers, sizes and weights. Rule of thumb, one person = 2 - 3 person tent. Two person = 4 - 6 person tent. I like the Coleman air matresses. Not light but they blow up quick with a little battery pump. Tried the Thermarest pads once, could not sleep hardly at all. Too thin and too narrow. I gotta sleep.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 PM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8,516 Likes on 2,492 Posts
Talking

Any decent quality 7x7 is sufficient for two people. Make sure the floor "wraps around" sort of up the sides of the thing in case you end up camped in standing water (those late night thunderstorms out on the prairie will suprise ya..!!) Spray with silicone waterproofing...floor and sides. Whatever size you get...secure a polyethylene sheet at least 7-10mil thick the same size as your tent's footprint. This will go a long way to preserving the tent floor. Screw the pads and pool floats...get an "air bed"....one of those 8-10 in. thick air mattresses at least the size of a "full size" bed. Pack a set of sheets and a thermal blanket to fit. For inflating...I found out the "ole lady du jour" types don't wanna sit @ the campsite and blow it up while I'm off with the guys...so I bought a low pressure, high volume air pump, one of those with a lighter plug-in. Cut that plug off. Hook up a coupla alligator clips to the wires and clip it to your bike battery when your ready to blow up the mattress. Works like a charm...AND now you have the added benefit of being able to offer your newest best friend a comfortable place to lay herself down.....

Old 06-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation GREAT DEAL ALERT $89 Eureka Packpacking Tent 2 person

Eureka Adventure Apex 2FG 7-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Tent
$89.17 today at amazon- not a bad price with free shipping.
Kinda small for 2 but pack size and weight are great:
COMPARE WEIGHT AND PACKING SIZE FOR A MOTORCYCLE TENT!!!

COMPARE the size and weight:
Area: 36.5 square feet
Floor size: 7 feet, 5 inches by 4 feet, 11 inches
Center height: 3 feet, 7.5 inches
Wall fabrics: 1.9-ounce 70D Polyester taffeta 800mm coating
Floor fabrics: 1.9-ounce 70D Polyester taffeta 800mm coating
Fly fabrics: 1.9-ounce 75D 185T StormShield Polyester 800mm coating
Pack size: 6 by 18.5 inches
Weight: 5 pounds, 6 ounces

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Adventu...4308873&sr=8-2

Another choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Season-...309192&sr=1-26

Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I use a Eureka 4 man Timberline. Got introduced to them through my son's Boy Scout Troop years ago. They set up easy, stand up to the wind and have plenty of room for 2 people plus gear. They also roll up fairly compactly and can be used for backpacking which means they will fit on a bike with little problem.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of great advice in this thread! Just to add my two cents.... I use a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent. It's advertised at a two person tent, but it's really ideal for a single person (quite small). But it is very light, packs small, and of excellent quality.

The Thermarest mattress pads are really great. The one I have is almost two inches thick and very comfortable. The insulation value really helps me stay warm on cold nights. They are fairly expensive, but easy to use and of very high quality.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two important things to remember:

1. Your gear (tent, air mattress) will never again be as small as they are when you first take them out of the box. I've seen people show up at rallies with everything still in the box, then not be able to get it all re-packed on the bike.

2. When you start with the bungee cords, be careful you don't make your bike top-heavy. There's nothing quite like getting everything all packed on the bike just to fall over the first time you make a slow speed turn in a parking lot. Keep your heavy stuff LOW.

Quick Reply: Tent Camping