Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tent Camping

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Rick14221
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the clarks

Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,815 Likes on 1,177 Posts

They no longer make the Winchester brand tent I carried from 1971 until I threw it away in '04. Best tent I ever had and the only one I ever saw like it. People knew where I was by my tent. Packed, it was the size of a loaf of bread and withstood rain, wind and heavy snow on a few ocassions.

Main thing to remember about riding and camping, you waste a lot of time. No, not setting up or tearing down. If you'e in a humid type climate, you have to air all that stuff out before you stow it, else it's not going to last long for you and it will mildew. Which means in a good part of the country, you'll be 10:00 or later getting on the road.

On the other hand, if you're going to camp at an event or somewhere for several days, it's a good deal.

These days, if I plan a ride and camp somewhere for several days, I buy the cheapest dome tent I can find, and leave the darn thing there!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

I use the Apache tent for motorcycle camping ( http://www.apachetents.com/ ). It is lightweight, goes up in 30 seconds or less, has vestibule, and a great tent. Just read the reviews on their site from other motorcyclists that use it.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM
dan1551
Tourer

We did last weekend in the rain in ozarks (MO) rained most of the time 9by8 octagon dome from Target. never got wet at all. It will hold a queen size air mattress just fine But if its one in the tent get a smaller one .We have the battery powered pump blown it up 3 times with 1 set of d cells.....all that was less than one night in a motel . Good time!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoreguy
I am planning to try some tent camping in Arkansas in June. Question I am asking is what tent to buy?????? I need a tent i can load on the bike and is a breeze to set up! Also will ues this tent at Sturgis for a week of fun!
I've got a Eureka Tetragon 5, very pleased with it. Sets up in 10 minutes or less, has plenty of room for me and my gear. It's marketed as a 2-man tent, but I've never shared it and doubt that it would be good for that.

+1 on reminders that there's other gear you'll need! I'm still looking for a good air mattress...

Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One with Air Conditioning.

Originally Posted by offshoreguy
I am planning to try some tent camping in Arkansas in June. Question I am asking is what tent to buy?????? I need a tent i can load on the bike and is a breeze to set up! Also will ues this tent at Sturgis for a week of fun!
I like the dome tents with bungee type cord supports. Fast setup and easy to pack.

There are some great parks in Arkansas, I'd suggest northwest Arkansas.
Check out Devil's Den State Park and Withrow State Park. There are some great rides in this area.

Geaux Tigers !

Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
The MSR Hubba tents are nice.

I've been using an REI Half Dome 2 man backpacking tent for the past 6 years for car and bike camping. It's a rectangular floor plan with 2 entrances and 2 vestibules for stashing gear outside the doors but away from the elements. The tent straps nicely to the top of my saddle bag or atop my sissy bar bag.
I have the same tent and use it hiking and riding. It has through a number of storms and even snow a time or two and as long as the spikes are secured correctly the tent stays up. I really like the vestibules, I can strip off muddy boots or other items and not track a bunch of crap into the ten, but the boots still do not have to be out in the rain.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
jimmie d wad
Tourer

Originally Posted by PPBART
I've got a Eureka Tetragon 5, very pleased with it. Sets up in 10 minutes or less, has plenty of room for me and my gear. It's marketed as a 2-man tent, but I've never shared it and doubt that it would be good for that.

+1 on reminders that there's other gear you'll need! I'm still looking for a good air mattress...
i to have a eureka tetragon small5x7 foot print .get me and my t bag in there just fine.i use a blue tarp under it to protect the floor.and the big barn nail stakes.sturgis ground can be real hard.i have a 2.5"therma rest pab.i weigh 250 can lat on my side and not bottom it out.i would recomend spraying any tent down with a silicon spray i use camp dry.had this set up since 01 never been wet.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the 2 man tent from SAMS. Very light and can set up in 2 minutes. Worked great in Daytona and has a vestabule on the front for light, stove and to keep things dry. No more hotels in Daytona for me. Bike, tent and the Cabbage Patch. Good times.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART

So was I, but then I bought the hammock and I just don't seem to need it anymore!

Seriously, though, do you want an air mattress or a sleeping pad? Difference is one if a little thing that slips under your sleeping bag, the other is a mattress.

I've never found a quality air mattress I'd carry on the bike simply because they're so large and take so long to inflate. If I were camping out of the back of the van, it'd be different, but the van has a tad more cargo capacity than my bike But, if you're intending to get some wilderness lovin', it might be worth leaving some stuff at home to pack a good sized air mattress.

Inflatable sleeping pads - the thicker they are, the more comfortable they are, the thinner they are, the easier they are to pack. I own two that are reasonable, a 1" thick and 1.5" thick, both are from Magellan (sold at Academy) and they're holding up OK, but they don't see much use. I, mainly, pack the 1" pad when I'm camping in cooler areas to use as insulation to keep my underside warm in the hammock.

If I were to start sleeping on the ground with regularity, I'd leave the inflatables at home and pack a Thermarest Z Lite. These have been highly recommended to me by people that backpack extensively. They fold up small, they're very light and they are, to my understanding, quite comfortable. Plus, they never puncture.

One other factor to consider on sleeping pads - they're not just to make the ground softer - they are an insulate barrier between you and the ground. In warm places during the summer this isn't that great of an issue. But, when it's cooler, the ground will suck the heat from your body quite fast, leaving you with stiff joints and sore kidneys in the morning.

Quick Reply: Tent Camping