Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Stupid Question, I Know, But...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 PM
OldCoot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Stupid Question, I Know, But...

I'm planning a trip out west...

When you're riding down the road alone and see a big black animal standing next to the road (or right in the middle of the road), how do you know if it's a friendly cow or an angry bull? And what do you do? Stop and turn around, drive by slowly, or haul *** by it?

I only faced that situation one time last year on my trip out west, but it really bugged me. I wasn't sure if it was going to let me go by or knock me off my bike. I rode slowly and quietly by as it stared at me, but I was sure it was going to charge any second.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Always leaving might be unnecessary, and always plowing through could be dangerous. There's no one best answer to your question. Like with most things you gotta read the situation to determine the best reaction. Listen to your gut... walk softly and carry a big stick.

There are ways to tell the difference between cows and bulls, but that's a discussion for you and your daddy

Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM
OldCoot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
Always leaving might be unnecessary, and always plowing through could be dangerous. There's no one best answer to your question. Like with most things you gotta read the situation to determine the best reaction. Listen to your gut... walk softly and carry a big stick.

There are ways to tell the difference between cows and bulls, but that's a discussion for you and your daddy
My daddy went home 35 years ago so I guess I'll have to figure it out on my own.

Seriously, when it's staring straight at you and you're riding toward it, it's hard to see the distinguishing parts... and once I got along side I didn't look down to see.. I just took off!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:36 AM
sniper uk
Cruiser

wow....what a question....

Old 05-29-2009, 03:49 AM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely a candidate for the top ten stupid questions of all time....no one can predict the outcome of such an encounter...YOU will have to decide how YOU will deal with YOUR 'fictitious' scenario when/if it ever happens...SHEESH!!!..
http://www.yourdictionary.com/sheesh

Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 AM
OldCoot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ko4qc
Definitely a candidate for the top ten stupid questions of all time....no one can predict the outcome of such an encounter...YOU will have to decide how YOU will deal with YOUR 'fictitious' scenario when/if it ever happens...SHEESH!!!..
http://www.yourdictionary.com/sheesh
Better reduce your caffeine this morning, Mr. Grumpy. (Actually, it's not ficticious. I had it happen to me the last time I went out West. I'm not asking for a prediction of the outcome... I'm just asking for advice from Cowboys who know more about animals than I do...)

Last edited by OldCoot; 05-29-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ko4qc
Definitely a candidate for the top ten stupid questions of all time....
WTH??? That a way sport...kick the new guy in the nads.

These kinds of responses always makes wonder what type of fellow riders I could count on out there...you're definitely not one of them.

Grow up!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:45 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 Pine....at 64 I still have some unanswered questions and probably a lot of them really "stupid" and "unworthy" John

Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 AM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figure all large animals on the road when I am on my bike are dangerous. They might not be looking to "attack," but they are something I can hit. As mentioned above, you have to handle each encounter individually, I suppose I would have identified a path around the creature and rode around as fast as possible. With cows, a blast or two on the horn might work.

True story--

We were riding over Raton Pass, NM on our way to California. I was in the lead; my buddy was following. I saw something strange under the guard rail. As I passed, I looked down. It was a bear, a big bear with his head under the guard rail. I figured the 70's were revisiting, so I slowed down to ask my buddy what he saw. Since we both looked at each other and said, "Did you..."

Now that is an animal story. LOL

Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

When you passed by and that bovine was staring at you, there was one of two things on its mind. 1. Geez dude, I ain't THAT big, you can have some of the road too. 2. Hey, go back and pay the toll!
Actually, it's a decent question and your own actions were probably the best. Animals are not too keen on quick moves, loud noises and uncommon, to them, situations. Move slowly, with some distance between you, and be ready to go at any second.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question, I Know, But...