Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Should I take my 13 year old daughter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM
cybricon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I take my 13 year old daughter?

I'd be interested to hear about any experiences some of you may have had taking along your kid on a long road trip. My 13 year old daughter loves riding with me on my '07 Ultra. Mostly we just ride around our area but I have taken her on some longer rides. Now we're planning an 18 day cross country trip from our home in Maryland out to Utah, Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota, and back. It's about 5500 miles in 18 days. We'll have some stops where we stay 2 days and one big stop for 3-4 days, but other than that we'll be going 300-450 miles a day (average of about 350). Some people think it's not a good idea, others say "what an adventure". I'm totally into the adventure of it, myself. I can't wait to get to Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, and even Sturgis 5 days before the official start of the rally there. I think she'll be OK other than getting tired sometimes, but quick stops for refreshments usually pick her back up. We went on a warm up ride last Memorial Day weekend of about 850 miles in 3 days, and she was mostly fine with it and says she'll be fine on the long trip. We have XM and J&M Elite headsets to help alleviate the boredom. Of course I worry about her safety too, and will be very careful as always. We're staying at KOA Kabins all the way except when we stay at my cousin's in Salt Lake City.

So anyone who has had experience with this type of thing, or anyone else who just has advice or wants to tell me I'm crazy or whatever, please chime in. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your daughter is comfortable with the idea of a long trip I'd say go for it.

I believe if you do everything as safe as possible such as riding gear and proper rest stops. The rest belongs to a higher power.

Have a safe,fun and memorable trip of a life time!

Last edited by bksmoky; 05-28-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a trip she'll tell her grandchildren about. If you're both OK with the 2 up ride, you'll be sorry if you don't take her. I'm envious.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 PM
cybricon
Cruiser
Default Thanks for the encouragement!

bksmoky and Keith, I appreciate the replies, it really helps! It's going to be an amazing trip as long as she doesn't get too bored or tired! We just rerouted part of the trip to go through Denver (another cousin there) and Grand Junction CO instead of Wyoming when going from Nebraska to Salt Lake City. Now we're even more excited!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a really fun trip. find a way of charging her ipod. it will be a memory of a life time for the both of you.
Originally Posted by cybricon
bksmoky and Keith, I appreciate the replies, it really helps! It's going to be an amazing trip as long as she doesn't get too bored or tired! We just rerouted part of the trip to go through Denver (another cousin there) and Grand Junction CO instead of Wyoming when going from Nebraska to Salt Lake City. Now we're even more excited!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Yer a lucky guy!

Take the girl, have a blast.. make MEMORIES my man..

Old 05-29-2009, 03:43 AM
eskimoSG09
Cruiser

I'd take her and enjoy the trip. My daughter is only 6 but I look forward to doing the same with her when she gets older.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Buck Naked
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eskimoSG09
I'd take her and enjoy the trip. My daughter is only 6 but I look forward to doing the same with her when she gets older.
Same here! Mine is 5, and rides to the car wash w/ me on occasion...she's chomping at the bit to go on a longer ride. Hopefully, as she gets older it'll still be cool to "hang out w/ dad"... I agree--a trip like that will create memories she'll talk about up to and beyond your dying day....

Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a dyna superglide and my 8yr old girl and my 12 yr old son ride with me all the time never on a long trip like your talking however if and when i get my ultra lol cpl years i would not hesitate to take them big difference in comfort and ride area for them.

The other key is seems like your little girl knows whats going on by your statement:
We went on a warm up ride last Memorial Day weekend of about 850 miles in 3 days, and she was mostly fine with it and says she'll be fine on the long trip. We have XM and J&M Elite headsets to help alleviate the boredom
So if it was me id take her with me in a heart beat and have one hell of a memory for her and me that we would always have.

Have a safe trip and get her her own digital camera with a large memory card to help you document the trip.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 AM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my then 13-year old daughter to San Diego a couple of years ago. No problem at all, she was a good rider. Interestingly enough, she has had much interest in a long trip since even though she claims to want a bike when she turns 16.

Quick Reply: Should I take my 13 year old daughter?