Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis Campgrounds???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM
SNJridin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis Campgrounds???

I'm makin my first trip to Sturgis and I will be tent camping. I looked into the Chip and seems like a good time but what are the Cons of staying there? I like to shower, will that be a problem at the Chip? Any one have fun campgrounds to stay at?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

When I go to Sturgis, I try to stay as far from the "action" as possible and still be able to ride in during the day. I ain't much of a party animal. I stay at the Custer State Park camp ground about 50??? miles from Sturgis. Nice place with big campsites and decent showers. From there you can take day trips to all the attractions in the area and at the end of the day you've got a nice quiet place to catch a little sleep. I have found the folks there to be very accomodating and helpful. I make arrangements in advance to ship (via UPS) a large tent and some lawn chairs and other luxury items to the campground. One of the rangers hauls the stuff to my campsite in a pick-up truck when I get there. When it is time to leave, I box up the stuff and have one of the rangers haul it back to the office so UPS can pick it up and ship it home for me. Now, if you want tittie alley and stuff like that going on all night, this may not be the place for you, but it works for me.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:04 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

There's a KOA about 4 miles outside of Custer. I stayed there a few years ago and it was great. Close to the great riding, about 30-45 minutes from downtown Sturgis.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 PM
NICK_AK
6th Gear
Default Creekside

is nice, it's about 2 miles outta town and about a mile from the chip. lotsa shade, mellow, they serve breakfast and dinner for about 7 bucks. the rate last year was 10 bucks a day. clean bathrooms with showers, they may have laundry as well -i can't recall for sure. great place that i would stay at again.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I'll cast another vote for the KOA's. I like the Mt Rushmore KOA best, but Custer is good too.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Elkview was the name of the campground in which I stayed. Was close to town but quiet and layed back. It all depends on what your into. You should be able to snag a shower at any campground, if not, you could always stay on your bike during a bikini bike wash.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 AM
mervt198
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shade Valley, 7 miles east of Sturgis, quieter, clean, meals,bar with live music. you can also rent a tent. we're staying there again this year.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 PM
fisherguy54
Advanced

We stayed at the Chip last year, great concerts, plan on 7 bucks for a good shower a lot of bad toilets. Three years ago we stayed at the koa just outside Hill CIty. Great place. Nice facilites and reasonably quiet. Better if you sleep and away from the huge crowds. Just depends on what you want

Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hog Heaven is close in and very inexpensive. Lots of hillside camping for a nice breeze and drainage when it rains. Decent little breakfast and sandwich facilities,outdoor bar,bus to town,plenty of clean showers. You can ship your camp gear to them and they do laundry,ten bucks for a large bag,clean and folded and back the same day. Not a wild party place but nice.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 PM
jimmie d wad
Tourer
Default campgrounds

use to stay @ bear bute creek about 5 miles east of town.good party camp round.or maybe we were the party.been sayin @chris's campground in spear fish.food flush toilets a pool and pretty quiet

Quick Reply: Sturgis Campgrounds???