Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rock Springs to Estes Park ------->

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rock Springs to Estes Park ------->

Planning to avoid 80 across WY (as much as possible)and try dropping down on 789/13 to Craig, CO. Then I'm open to ideas from Craig to Estes. I'm guessing 40 to Grandby, then 34 on up through the RMNP.

Has anyone stayed in Craig? Good or bad motels? I looked online and found a few that look good. Westward Inn Elk Run inn and Bear Valley inn look fine. Were only planning on stopping for a night so luxury isn't a priority, as long as we don't get carried away by bed bugs and have a safe place to park the bike I think we'll be fine.

Last edited by JonnyD; 05-27-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:12 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

191 south from Rock Springs is an amazing ride. Most of it is along and above Flaming Gorge reservoir. You will run into US-40 in Vernal, UT and can head west to Craig from there. US-40 is a pretty nice drive, too.

I've taken US-40 all the way to Granby and it is a beautiful drive from Craig, well, from Steamboat Springs. US-34 in Granby takes you right into Rocky Mountain National Park, up and over and down into Estes Park on US-36.

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in America...I'll be staying there on August 16 - can't wait!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL - you have the best route there, no need to change it. I live about 45 south of Estes Park. Need to get up there one weekend.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:44 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackBastard
191 south from Rock Springs is an amazing ride. Most of it is along and above Flaming Gorge reservoir. You will run into US-40 in Vernal, UT and can head west to Craig from there. US-40 is a pretty nice drive, too.

I've taken US-40 all the way to Granby and it is a beautiful drive from Craig, well, from Steamboat Springs. US-34 in Granby takes you right into Rocky Mountain National Park, up and over and down into Estes Park on US-36.

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in America...I'll be staying there on August 16 - can't wait!
Stayed there last summer, and it is a cool Hotel. Not a big "Haunted" believer, but they sure play it up. My wife is a sales and marketing director for the company that manages the hotel, and many others, so we stay for a very cheap rate.

Going to be there for 5 nights this time. Didn't get to see much last year as we spent a lot of time visiting with my friend in Denver.

Take the road from Estes to Boulder through the mountains, it's a sweet ride. But, there pretty much all sweet rides out of Estes. There's a cool custom bike shop in Lyons worth a look too. They had an event going on last time we were there.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 PM
wood butcher
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out www.MotorcycleColorado.com. Lots of good info. It may help you.