Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Adirondack mountains trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Buddy04284
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adirondack mountains trip

A few of us are planning a bike trip to the Adirondack mountains 17-21 June. We will be coming from Maine. The plan is to stop for the day in Laconia for bike week there and then travel into VT and stay the night. Thursday we plan on going into the Adirondack park. Does anyone know of any good cheap motels that way. I don't want to spend a crap load of money on a room when I can be buying beer lol. I wanted to camp out along the ponds and trout fish, but some of the guys need hair dryers and mirrors to comb their hair lol. If you have traveled that area and can hook us up, I would appreciate it. we are all military guys

Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Been about 10 yrs since I've been up there. (use to live in Rochester)... Their are pleny of local owned motels, eats... Plan on whiteface Mountain, Lake placid, Saranac lake.. Rt 3, rt 30, Long lake area,28N to Old forge,and back around by rt8...
Their are plenty of dirt trails that go about 100-200 yrd into the woods and open up into a spectacular view for a quick overnight camp. Some/most land is private but I was never bothered........If you feel adventurous go over the Alexander bay .."touristy" but very scenic

Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Buddy04284
Advanced

Originally Posted by katobird
Been about 10 yrs since I've been up there. (use to live in Rochester)... Their are pleny of local owned motels, eats... Plan on whiteface Mountain, Lake placid, Saranac lake.. Rt 3, rt 30, Long lake area,28N to Old forge,and back around by rt8...
Their are plenty of dirt trails that go about 100-200 yrd into the woods and open up into a spectacular view for a quick overnight camp. Some/most land is private but I was never bothered........If you feel adventurous go over the Alexander bay .."touristy" but very scenic
It is a nice area to ride. I am originally from Upstate NY in Plattsburgh and go back there often when on military leave. I know the area well and have fished all over the area but it has been awhile, so am not sure of where the deals would be.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, Buddy04284.

I live in Wilmington, NY @ the base of Whiteface Mt. & expect to be in Laconia when you are.

Katobird's route is a classic Visit the Adirondacks Tour & good advise. It is a good route to focus on, but there are no bad motorcycle roads in these mountains.

Let me suggest that the lodging at the well marketed destinations can be expensive during the tourtist seasons. Since you've indicated "I don't want to spend a crap load of money on a room when I can be buying beer lol" you may choose to find rooms outside of Lake Placid, Lake George, Old Forge, Saratoga.... in spots more senic but with fewer souvenir vendors.

Wilmington has cheaper motels & is 12 miles from Lake Placid. You may want to contact Steinhoff's Sportsmans' Inn (rooms, bar, biker friendly) @ 518-946-2220. For options go to: http://www.whitefacenewyork.com/index.php/main/lodging/

Tupper Lake has miles of motels along the shore on Rt. 30 South of town. The Red Top & Pine Terrace come to mind. Contact the Tupper Lake Chamber of Commerce. http://www.tupperlakeinfo.com/busine...accomindex.htm

A lop through Speculator & Indian Lake on Rt. 30 is seconded. Lots of fine & relatively inexpensive spots along there. http://www.lewiscountychamber.org/

Rt. 8 to Rt 74 are good & will take you back east through Schroon Lake & Ticonderoga. I know both have the type of overnight accommodations you will be looking for, but I only ride that area & don't know the crash pads. http://www.ticonderogany.com/

I hope you enjoy the ride. Maine through Laconia, Vermont & our Northern NY should be a good adventure. Let us know how it turns out. Pray for sunshine because I'll be riding that week too.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Buddy04284
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I am very familiar with that area since I am originally from Plattsburgh myself. I was hoping the other guys wanted to camp a few nights along the way, and I would bring a few folding fish poles and catch some fresh trout to cook up, but they all want rooms. I am hoping for a good weather as well but can only assume that on a 4-5 day trip there will be rain at some point.