Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis trip Alone, Bad idea???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM
SNJridin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis trip Alone, Bad idea???

I am planning my first trip to Sturgis but none of my buddies can go. I am thinking about going by myself. I would be driving from Jersey with the bike in the truck. I will be camping. I figure I might meet people out there to tag along with. I am being naive?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Why in the world would traveling along be a bad idea? I do it all the time. Are you worried about the trip or are you worried you will not meet anyone to hang out with at Sturgis? Frankly I do not think either would be a problem, especially if you are at one of the bigger camp grounds. You would almost have to try to *not* meet people to party with at a camp ground .

Old 05-15-2009, 08:14 AM
SNJridin
Novice

I am more worried about not meeting anyone to hang out with. Do you recommend any campgrounds?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 AM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser

Whew, if you can't meet someone at Sturgis, you need a personality transplant. It is that simple. Go, and have a great time.

The Chip. Quiet hours are from 4:00 to 6:00 a.m. if that cramps your style. LOL! Thousands of folks wanting to ride and party. Obviously, I love staying there.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:24 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've got nothing to worry about. If you want one of the larger campgrounds to to the Chip or Glencoe. Be prepared to not get any sleep if you're at either of these though!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 AM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser

Always amazes me how many guys are gung-ho in January, drop-out in June, or don't make the driveway in August.

About 10% is the number that I figure actually end up going on a big trip. Lots of talkers out there.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SN, when I run solo I like to use KOA camgrounds. If there is one near you stop in for a guide book. you can also check online. They are fairly close to the Interstate along the way.

You don't have to use them every evening but you pretty much know what you are getting into. If weather is real bad they have Kampin Kabins if available.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 AM
mervt198
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If for some unknown reason you want a quieter campground, try Shade Valley, about 7 miles east of Sturgis

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SNJridin
I am more worried about not meeting anyone to hang out with. Do you recommend any campgrounds?
Don't worry about it, go and have fun. I am trying real hard to get the time off to go this year, but I will be riding out from VA. I have a couple of big projects due around that time and my boss is being difficult about it. If I go I will have to stay at one of the camp grounds that has Wi-Fi so I can at least check email. I will be going alone as well, at least for the ride out. If you want I can shoot you a PM to let you know when the time gets closer.

Keep this in mind. My grandmother use to always tell me (as lots of old folks are want to do) they regret the things they did not do much more than the things they did (if that makes sense). Being a younger man at the time I did not really get what she was saying. I do today. If you want to go then go, do not let little concerns like this get in your way.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM
SNJridin
Novice

Thanks Overhead, I still don't have off yet either, but it looks good.

Quick Reply: Sturgis trip Alone, Bad idea???