Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis trip Alone, Bad idea???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 PM
mtowner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overhead
Don't worry about it, go and have fun. I am trying real hard to get the time off to go this year, but I will be riding out from VA. I have a couple of big projects due around that time and my boss is being difficult about it. If I go I will have to stay at one of the camp grounds that has Wi-Fi so I can at least check email. I will be going alone as well, at least for the ride out. If you want I can shoot you a PM to let you know when the time gets closer.

Keep this in mind. My grandmother use to always tell me (as lots of old folks are want to do) they regret the things they did not do much more than the things they did (if that makes sense). Being a younger man at the time I did not really get what she was saying. I do today. If you want to go then go, do not let little concerns like this get in your way.
Your Grandmother was a smart lady. Well said!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM
TheSinistral
Tourer

Well, since this zombie is back..... I rode alone from Dallas last year by myself (first time), camped and it was fantastic. Riding alone felt like an adventure. I could stop where i wanted, when I wanted. It was real freedom. Leaving Saturday morning!!!! cantwaitcantwait!

By the way, I know the OP mentioned this in 2009 but, for others, any concerns about meeting people are unwarranted. In fact, when folks found out I was alone, EVERYONE invited me along. I had to decline many overlapping invitations. It was a blast!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by SNJridin
I was planning on driving to pack all my camping gear. I also wanted to drive straight through 26hrs to SD. I know I wouldn't be able to do 26 hrs on my bike non stop. I never packed a lot of gear on my sporty. Anyone ever pack a sporty up with camping gear?
Just go, if it is your first year and you want to trailer, go ahead and trailer. There are great rides once you get there. However, the best part of the experience for me has always been the ride to and ride home. Different strokes for different folks. I have friends who rush on I-90 to get there and spend their entire time enjoying the Chip and taking short rides. I take my time through Glacier, Yellowstone, Beartooth, etc. One night at the chip is enough for me.

I am not making the trip this year, but will again next year. Either way, make the trip and you will meet good people who trailer there and who ride there. It is the experience you make it to be.

Be adaptable, things fall into place.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have never been to Sturgis during the rally, but I prefer all of my long trips to be solo. I enjoy it more than being with a group. I have never had trouble finding new friends to hang out with if I choose, but I usually just like to visit a bit and then move on alone.

I always feel like anyone who is with me is holding me back. I can travel farther, faster and do what I want to do and see what I want to see alone.

I would come nearer to being able to do 26 hours straight on my bike than in my truck, but to each his own. My idea of camping these days is the cheapest motel I can find. I am starting to get interested in camping again now, but not quite ready yet.

Dennis

Old 08-04-2013, 03:46 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Good thread. Wonder if OP went.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
airchuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anywhere ALONE is a good idea. Drives me crazy riding with anyone else.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Bretley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron750
Good thread. Wonder if OP went.
I think he went in his truck and had a great time riding around SD. When he got back home and read all the posts saying he should have ridden out, he felt so ashamed, that he sold his bike.

I just did my my first ride out and am glad I rode (600 miles one way) my Street Bob. But, unless I upgrade to a touring bike, I will trailer next time and enjoy more riding while there.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM
freakchile13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SNJridin
I was planning on driving to pack all my camping gear. I also wanted to drive straight through 26hrs to SD. I know I wouldn't be able to do 26 hrs on my bike non stop. I never packed a lot of gear on my sporty. Anyone ever pack a sporty up with camping gear?
hey snj I just hopped on my bike to clear my head last week from just south of buffalo New York. To rapid city south Dakota. You don't have a thing to worry about. Get on out there & make memories that your family friends, and people you meet along the way will talk about for years. You will meet the most incredibly helpful people out there. You will meet people afraid of us bikers, but 95% of em are good folk who will offer to put you up for the nite, or let ya use their shop. Do it man you'll regret it if ya don't life is the adventure you make it.