Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Yellowstone to Red Lodge via Beartooth Hwy

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 AM
cybricon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default West Yellowstone to Red Lodge via Beartooth Hwy

I'm planning a 16 day road trip from Maryland to Utah, then Yellowstone, and back by way of Red Lodge MT and Hill City SD. When I read about Beartooth Hwy on these forums, I knew I had to ride it, and altered my "KOA chain" to go through Red Lodge instead of Sheridan MY on the way to Hill City. I will be making the ride to Red Lodge on July 26 if it goes as planned. Here's what I'm wondering: I'm worried about the traffic though Yellowstone NP on the way to Rte. 212 (Beartooth Hwy) and Red Lodge. I realize it will be loaded with tourists and am ready to deal with some traffic, but I'm wondering just HOW BAD it will be. So anyone who's been there lately in the summer who can advise on this, I would appreciate it. I don't see much choice other than to go through the park. Also, any advice on which way through the park would be best - 89 north to 212, or across Norris Canyon Rd. to Grand Loop Rd up to 212. Looks like the first option would be faster. I'm excited about riding Beartooth! Wish I could do Chief Joseph Hwy too, but may not have time.

Last edited by cybricon; 05-13-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 AM
hammer1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been to yellowstone a few times and the travel thru has always been slowww, usually quite a bit of traffic and everyone slows down or stops every time they see wildlife. and heaven forbid there are bears then it comes to a complete stop. im assuming youll be coming thru the south or west entrance (not sure if it matters) but its a beautifull place to visit but dont plan on it being a quick trip thru. forgot to say that you can go thru either entrance and come out the east entrance and land in cody,wy. then you can go thru chief joeseph hwy to beartooth.

Last edited by hammer1; 05-13-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:11 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode through Yellowstone two years ago on the way to Sturgis. We rode from Jackson, WY to Cody, WY in a day (through the park). We stopped at a lot of sites in the park, watched Old Faithful erupt, had lunch, waited out a thunderstorm, waded through a sea of buffalo and negotiated the East Entrance construction over Sylvan Pass (all gravel...but it's finished now). I don't remember much slow traffic at all. I think it's hit-or-miss - obviously weekends will be more crowded than weekdays.

And just so you know...July 24 is a holiday in Utah...Pioneer Day (when the Mormons settled in the Salt Lake valley). You can most likely expect hoards of Utahns (more than normal) up in Yellowstone and a lot more traffic on the roads between SLC and Yellowstone.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I went that direction I overnited in Cody, WY and got up early enough that I was at the Yellowstone gate as it opened in the morning. You can beat some of the traffic that way. Yellowstone is a beautiful ride and in my opinion you should plan on at the very least a few stops on the way through. Enjoy it!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

West Yellowstone is probably the most crowded. If yer comin up from Utah, I'm assumin yer comin in at the south entrance? If ya come that way, one ticket gets ya into the Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone. The rugged rock mountains in the Grand Teton NP is a sight to behold, and a sight easily enjoyed with just a drive-by on yer way thru to Yellowstone. As for traffic, if ya come thru Yellowstone early enuf, ya almost have the road to yerself. I've been thru there twice...both times we were up 'n out on the road by 6:00-7:00 in the mornin...very little traffic. IMO, goin up the east side on Grand Loop Rd. is more scenic, with more wildlife, than 89...but, it doesn't take ya by Old Faithful. However, it does take ya by Yellowstone Falls at Artist Point...a sight I enjoyed more than Old Faithful.

It's a shame ya can't spend a couple nights there...a really great park to explore. If ya do decide to do that, check out Canyon Village on the east side for lodging. Canyon is aptly named 'cause it's adjacent to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and the Falls.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:04 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should spend a few days riding around yellowstone, It is a pretty neat place. Ride the beartooth early in the Morning. It is an awesome ride. You might want to try riding the beartooth both ways and then take the chief joseph to cody for the night. Then head east over the bighorns to sheridan. It may be a little of relief from the heat in Wyoming that time of year.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
burnafatty
Tourer

Hey I will be leaving from Gaithersburg 2 day later and will cover some of the same roads so if you want to hook up along the road let me know! Let me know if you want to hook up before we travel!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The early morning advice is correct, traffic is pretty light at that time, it'll probably be jacket weather at that hour, but you'll make it through pretty quick

Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually, I'd be careful about riding the Beartooth early.

It can and does get a little icy up there when the shadows are still on the road.

Traffic will get a lot heavier after 2pm.

As for the quickest way through the Park from West to Cooke City.....go West to Madison Jct; Madison Jct to Norris; Norris to Canyon; Canyon to Tower, Tower to Northeast Entrance. (that's how signs in the Park will be labelled). Norris to Canyon is the least travelled road in the Park, and the Lamar Valley is pretty light, too....relatively speaking.

But, no matter which way you go, expect delays and frequent stops. Who knows? You may actually want to stop and see something, too?

If you any other questions, just ask. I live just up the road from the Park and go there all year round.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of good advice here, and it's all just stunning scenery. We have been through all the gates and have sometimes had no traffic jams at all. Other times, we have run into bear jams and they tend to become aggravating. On the other hand, "playing tourist" has its advantages too.

Coming from West Yellowstone, I'm not sure it matters which route you take across the Park (they are all beautiful) , but I would probably take the northern loop across the Lamar Valley and exit out the northeast gate at Cooke City. Then down to Cody via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. The Chief Joseph has some of the most stunning scenery in the area. After visiting the Buffalo Bill Historic Museum and overnighting in Cody, I would return to the Beartooth Highway via the Chief Joseph again and down to Red Lodge. Lots of miles, but every corner has another awesome scene. Absolutely incredible riding!

Quick Reply: West Yellowstone to Red Lodge via Beartooth Hwy