Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Phoenix to Chicago 2000 miles Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Kawboy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix to Chicago 2000 miles Road Trip

Hi everyone, I'm a new guy here and I will be riding my bike from Phoenix to Chicago and am trying to plan out a nice route that isn't too long (preferably around 2000 miles).

I was thinking about going through Utah and Colorado then East to Chicago. I just don't know what roads would be the best to take, I don't want a boring trip, I want to see a lot of nice scenary and take some good pictures.

I would like some input on what I should bring as well, I have never made a trip like this and will be doing it on my own.

Anyone been through these states or through the middle of the country and can give me some recommendations? Some places I may want to stop and check out?

My first stop will be the Grand Canyon, and from there I am not sure what there is.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Richpend
Tourer

That is a pretty long haul!! All I can say is take a lot of pictures and be safe!! I don't have a lot to tell you as I have not take a trip that long the longest I have gone was about 300 miles. This summer I will be going on a 1000 mile trip so I'll be in the same boat as you, it will be an experience. Let us know how it works out for you!!! Sorry I can't be any more help!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Kawboy
Stage III

No problem, I plan on taking a lot of pics. I think after Colorado is where I'll really start to get bored with the ride.

I'm not too sure what route I want to take through Colorado and Utah either, so hopefully somebody will chime in with some experience.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi you should post your question to the Mountain - Prairie of the Regional Events, Rides and Road Reports section. There is also an area called Southwest where there is a large group of "AZ Riders" from the Phoenix and Tucson, from what I read this to be a fun bunch!

Good luck and ride safe!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When do you plan on making this trip and are you riding back to Az? What part of Az. do you live in? Just came back from there, but we trailered out and put almost 3000 mile on the bike out there. What an awesome place to ride.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Kawboy
Stage III

I live in Chandler AZ, basically Phoenix. I'll be making the trip in about 3-3.5 week. I plan on taking as much time as I need, since I've never made a trip like this i'm not too sure how many miles I'll be able to go in a day before I'm wore out.

I won't be returning, it'll be a one way trip.

What do you guys have for the rain? Or what do you usually do if it starts raining?

Also do you have a cover for you bike? Or something to protect it if it rain during the night?

Thanks again

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

regarding rain and weather i found on my last long trip chicago to san deigo via phoneix
the wind was a bigger issue than the rain
pack all your warm clothes as weather changes quickly in the rockies
dont worry about covering your bike at night it will be dirty already
get a motel with a bar so you dont get loaded and have to drive thru a new town with 6 beers in you
i like to travel thru 4 corners north thru Utah to colorado then it gets interesting
if you go north from denver and up thru south dakota you will not have to wear a helmet thru nebraska which i find to be the worst part of the trip
or from denver you can run northern kansas to almost missouri and sneak into southwest iowa
in may the weather will be 25 to 100 degrees and wind will be crazy in mountains and on the trip east of denver weather its kansas or south dakota
Run as long as you are comfortable and safe if you go an extra 100 miles on one day it may kick your *** the next day [ i am 56 years old it might kick my *** a little quicker]
i find hwy 34 in iowa better than hwy 80 and then travel north up the mississippi from burlington to dubuque the n hwy 20 to rockford 90 to chicago
Mazz

Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

hit me up when you get in town man! i would put some miles on with you!
417-425-9406... southern missouri number but i live in chicago now!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

Well, Kawboy, on behalf of the Arizona Riders... I'm sorry you'll be leaving us without getting a chance to ride with us. Maybe you can join us once or twice before you leave.

On topic... My husband, joe.1955, and our friend 2of2 are now on their journey home from Florida to Arizona. They rode out there last week, spent a week and are now on their way back.

As for things to bring... definitely rain gear. We also packed Joe's clothes in XL sized ziplock bags, in case his T bag took on water. He carries (always), a tool kit, and tire repair kit and a small compresser. We waterproofed his boots before he left, so if he hit rain his feet wouldn't get soaked... trust me, that is miserable.

He packed jerky, for a protein rich snack, and always had at least one water bottle. Dean packed protein bars.

Then he had basic bathroom stuff... toothbrush, toothpaste, etc... and basic meds, Tylenol, allergy meds, sting kill stuff (bees happen).

Make sure if you'll be using any credit cards that you let them know in advance you'll be travelling and where. As a security precaution, they put a stop on cards if they go out of state unexpectedly.

Joe got his CCW permit, and brought a gun for protection... but if you don't already have it, you don't have enough time to get a CCW... it takes 4 to 6 weeks here in AZ right now. (some states allow open carry, but many require concealed with a permit.)

Oh, don't forget sunblock, and warmer clothes, gloves, etc. for cold mornings and higher elevations. And a helmet for those states that require it, if you don't normally wear one here in AZ.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally woud get a light weight cover for at night. It keeps honest people honest and the bike won't get full of dew. Plus if it rains and night your starting on a dry bike. Last trip I took I covered mine and the other guys wishes they did to. As far as rain goes, put the gear on and back the throttle off a little bit and keep going. If you haven't really driven in rain yet, just take your time and make sure you have a good set of tire and you'll be fine. I've driven in full blown down pours......not suggested if not needed, because you have to becarefful of being rear ended, sometimes I'd run with my flashers on with a real bad storm. Should be an awesome ride. One way?
Think I'd be doing Chicago to Az, what beautiful country!

Quick Reply: Phoenix to Chicago 2000 miles Road Trip