Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Michigan to Florida in May

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Vibeman
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Michigan to Florida in May

I am planning to leave Michigan on May 12th and arrive in Daytona Beach on the 15th. I want to go straight down I-75 and get to Knoxville/Maryville TN on the first day then take the remaining 3 days to get to Daytona. I have done searches here and there is MUCH good info on scenic roads/areas in VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, but much is day trips, circular routes, destinations, etc. Does anyone have or know of a detailed scenic route plan that would take me in the general direction I want to go? I am trying to devise one myself on the HD trip planner but I am totally unfamiliar with the area and there are SO MANY different ways to get from here to there that I am becoming overwhelmed. I am not interested in tourist destinations or events and would prefer to stay off the super slabs as much as possible. Will be staying in motels exclusively. I definitely want to include some portion of the BRP but not necessarily spend two days riding at 35-45 mph. Thanks in advance for any help.
BTW, I will be returning to MI via MD and want to include the northern portion of the BRP in that leg.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I've done the MI/FL trip numerous times, both in the spring and in the fall. But I've always just wanted to 'get there'. I-75 sucks, but it is the most direct route to the Orlando area, where I usually stayed. However: It's not without it's perils. I've also went across OH and down I-77/I-26/I-95. Which is okay once you get off the OH turnpike. No matter which route, bring your (warm) leathers, and GOOD rain gear. Having ridden seven hours in the remains of a gulf hurricane, you will appreciate them.

I usually budget two days to make the trip. From SE Michigan it is 'around' eight hours to Knoxville. I REALLY, REALLY try to make it south of Atlanta on the first day (Exit 218 is where I used to stop, until they closed the Easy Riders shop/bar).

If you plan on spending a day riding around eastern TN, I would definitely consider doing The Dragon: http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

To 'break things up' one trip, I rode the length of A1A from the time I entered FL (Fernandina Beach) all the way to Daytona. Some good scenery, and some not-so-good scenery. But a nice diversion from the Interstates.

Last edited by Hackd; 04-11-2009 at 11:33 AM.