Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Suggestions for Maine Coast trip??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suggestions for Maine Coast trip??

Hubby and I are planning a trip from western Massachusetts up to Acadia National Park / Bar Harbor, Maine in August. Any suggestions of what to see, where to ride in that area? Any suggestions for places to stay?Also, any suggestions for elswhere going up the Maine Coast?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
BucksBike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm most familiar with the coastal areas which can be crowded during the summer especially Rt 1. Get off early in the morning. Once you get off Rt 1 there is very little traffic and you can hit some of the neatest, least traveled towns. At times you need to head out to the ends of some of the peninsulas but there is a lot close to Rt 1 also. Towns I'd hit: Boothbay Harbor and surrounding area (many interesting rides along harbors and out to the points), Rockland, Rockport, Camden (the last three all very close each with a different feel), Blue Hill, Castine, Stonington (a little out of the way but with awsome view of the islands of Merchants Row) and definetly Bar Harbor. The view from the top of Cadilac Mtn is worth the trip. Once past Bar Harbor you'll have the world to yourself. I've been going up there every year to sail for the last 20 years but just got a bike and want to get it up there I'm looking for a trailer.

A cool day trip would be to take one of the ferries from Rockland to either North Haven or Vinalhaven and explore either of the islands. Not sure on the rules for bikes. You may need to bring your own tie downs. Can't help with the interior of the state but the Rangely Lake andl Moosehead Lake regions are spposed to be great. If I can geat my bike up there I'll be doing day trips out of Boothbay Harbor. The circle route from Damriscotta to Pemiquid Pt and back was listed as one of the best costal rides in Down East magazine.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took a ride up there last summer...beautiful area. Don't know what kinda accomodations ya like...but, if'n ya like quaint waterfront cottages in a quite area, try Windward Cottages. http://www.windwardcottages.com/ They're nice li'l 2-br cottages on the "quite side" of the island on Western Bay. Among other things, they provide free use of canoes and kayaks for paddlin 'round the Bay. Very nice hosts, and we loved the place.

Here's a link to Acadia Magic...lotta info on the area...includin Cadillac Mountain. http://www.acadiamagic.com/

Also, a very scenic area to ride while yer there is Schoodic Point. http://www.acadiamagic.com/schoodic/map.htm

If ya like lobster, try the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound on the mainland end of the bridge as yer enterin the island. I lost count of the number of times we made that short run from the cottages for lobster. http://www.trentonbridgelobster.com/

Don't know how long yer gonna be there...nor what kinda day rides yer up for...but, we rode up to Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada to visit the Roosevelt/Campobello International Park. It's Roosevelt's old summer home, turned into a museum. 'Bout a hunnert miles one-way. http://www.fdr.net/ But, be warned, I think they quit takin birth certificates for proof of citizenship this year...gotta have a passport or other acceptable pass...they should be able to tell ya 'zactly what ya need.

Have fun...and, ride safe.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:47 PM
mudsnark
Advanced

I am from Brunswick, but exiled down here in Va. We own property up in Maine and therefore go up 2 or 3 times a year.

Make sure you hit Freeport and the outlets, then head toward Brunswick. From there I would bang a left northbound on the highway to Augusta, then take Rt 3 east to Belfast. This will save you loads of headaches and time. There is really heavy traffic going northbound on Rt 1 after Brunswick. Once you get to Belfast, then you can pick up Rt. 1.

There are all kinds of great places to stay in Bar Harbor and I would just second what has already been said about Acadia. On a clear day the view is absolutely fantastic. Make sure you also visit Northeast Harbor.

One the way out of Bar Harbor (headed southbound) check out Blue Hill, but one of my favorites is Castine. To get there take Rt 66 off of Rt 1 and about 16 miles later you will find yourself in a very quaint fishing village on the water. There is a super cool place to stay there, the Pentagoet Inn. Somewhat expensive given the season, but you are worth it! It is right near the water. My wife and I have stayed there and love it. Try to get reservations ASAP. It gets booked early.

Head down Rt 1 from Castine. The traffic will be slow, but you will pass through some great towns. You might want to try Bailey Island as you approach Brunswick. It is a great ride and there are also a few cool resturants to consider. If you blow past Bailey Island, I would overnight it in Portland, which also has quite a few great restaurants and decent places to stay down in the Old Port area.

I am going up there in early August...taking my Road Glide from Va, up through the Adirondack Mountains, VT, NH, and then Maine. I am really looking forward to it.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:46 AM
BucksBike
Cruiser

How do you find the consistency of the air temp amd weather in Maine. I know on the water I can go from having the shirt off to wearing a fleece in 15 minutes. I'm guessing that its somewhat more moderate on land but I can see needing to go from a leather to a mesh jacket or tee during the day easy, especially if you are out all day.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stonington and Blue Hill are nice rides. One suggestion is to ride Rt 1 up from Ellsworth towards Calais, stopping at Schoodic (part of Acadia), and then towards Eastport. Calais is on the border of Canada. Fantastic scenery. Riding Rt 9 back is very pretty, or you can head up on Rt 1 towards Houlton, and back down via Rt 2.

Acadia has a park loop road with a ride to the top of Cadillac, as mentioned, but sunrise is well worth the early departure. You will be the first people in North America to see the sunrise.

Plenty of places to stay in Bar Harbor for all budgets, but make reservations early to get your best choices. If you like B&B's, there is one in BH that gives Harley discounts and has a garage to park your bike in. PM me if you want some more info,

While the ferry's to the islands are nice, If it were me, I'd pass, only because of time. Some of the ferry's are only once a day, and the times may not be convenient for you, and you could spend a whole day just traveling for a short ride. You can spend the whole day riding on just the Mount Desert Island (where Acadia and BH are on).

How many days do you have for the trip and for staying in Bar Harbor? Do you have plans to stop on the way up?

One other option is to take the coast up, and because of where Greenfield, Ma is, maybe take Rt 2 across Maine to NH/VT and ride the Kancamagus Highway and White Mountains on the way home.

Good luck planning, it's beautiful riding and Acadia is stunning.....

Steve

Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BucksBike
How do you find the consistency of the air temp amd weather in Maine. I know on the water I can go from having the shirt off to wearing a fleece in 15 minutes. I'm guessing that its somewhat more moderate on land but I can see needing to go from a leather to a mesh jacket or tee during the day easy, especially if you are out all day.
Well, my one experience in Maine was the same on land as what ya describe. I've never experienced such dramatic weather changes in such short time frames as I did in that neck of the woods. But man...talk 'bout an impressive coastline...beeee-uuuu-tee-ful! And, the people were as friendly as any I've ever run 'cross. If'n it weren't for the harsh winters, I could see myself livin in mid to upper Maine along the coast...but, I'm a good ole born 'n raised Southern boy and am afeared that I wouldn't survive more than a couple winters up there.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:16 PM
RickWB
3rd Gear

Hey Perch,
You'll have a great time riding in Maine in August. It does start to cool off nights in the middle of August. I don't know when you're traveling but throw in something you can layer for warmth if riding at night.
The first weekend in August is the Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland. Even better in mid July is the North Atlantic Blues Festival in Rockland. Both are in Harbor Park in Rockland. You can Google either and find websites for each. The Lobster Festival runs five days and the Blues Festival all weekend including shutting down Main Street Saturday night with bands in the street. I'd reccomend you check them both out, if not for this trip then another. As far as taking the ferries to North Haven or Vinalhaven, don't try to take the bikes. Vehicles are usually lined up waiting to get on and off the islands that time of year. You might get them to the island and find yourself stranded unable to get them back on the ferry for the trip back to the mainland. There are some spots on the ferries that can be reserved but they go fast. Some folks have some old vehicles they just leave in line most of the time to save themselves a spot.
Really you can not go wrong along the Maine Coast. Fort Knox State Park is a nice break as is the 400+' high observatory located on the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observatory located next to the fort. Info at http://www.penobscotnarrowsbridge.com/bridge.html It's well worth the stop and I think about $5.00 get's you into both.
Anyway enjoy your trip. Ride Safe , Ride Hard

Old 05-08-2009, 08:28 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like someone suggested you can snake up rt 1 instead of I-95. I've always taken I-95/295 to Augusta then switched over to rt 3 into Bar Harbor and all that Arcadia stuff. Bar Harbor rocks. They have a micro brewery/restaurant there and a whalers museum. Here's a list of good restaurants, some of which you'll pass by, like the one in Belfast #14:

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurants/...restaurantname

If you're not in a big hurry you can cut through some of the better sites in NH like the Kangamangus and the Mt Washington Auto road....thats a good one. Route 2 running East West in northern NH goes to Bangor and East of Bangor is Bar Harbor.

Very scenic with many options. Slow and scenic or expressway.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 05-08-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HEY, WOW! I kept looking and saw no responses, now I just see all the comments of the last week or so. THANKS!!! I will have to read through these more thoroughly, and print them out for reference.

As far as lodging, I am in fact very much looking into "quaint cottages" so I'll check into those Windward Cottages. I'm finding it's not exactly a cheap place to vacation in as far as lodging goes, during that time frame which is still in their peak season, but since we have taken trips in August for the last 2 years kind of as our anniversary trip (we got married in December which is a socky time of year to vacation!!) then I don't mind so much. I want it to be nice. I usually scout out the lodging, hubby usually takes care of the routes and leads the way. So I'll give him all these suggestions so he can map out some things.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Even though I grew up in Massachusetts, my family spent a lot of time in New Hampshire but not so much in Maine, especially not on the coast. So all this really helps!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Maine Coast trip??