Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning 5,400+ mile trip.. I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmoto
From Flagstaff south take 89 or 89A to Sedona. Very scenic and it's on the way. It's pretty good all the way to Prescott. From Tuscon your not to far away from Tombstone. Neet to see unless you've seen it already. Bisbee a little town worthy of a stroll and a cup of coffee.
Joe

I could at least drive through Tombstone blasting "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi on my kenwood!!! Then I'd feel like a real cowboy! LOL

Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

240 off 90 before you get to wall takes you into the Badlands park!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

you would have to go east from Sturgis on 90 to get to 240! You could take 44 out of Rapid City if your stayin there... nice ride!!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scarygt
Well if they are close to my main route I can always widen it by a hundred or so miles and take those in. And I'll be practically in Zion and Bryce Canyon.. I'm going to take 89 to Salt Lake city..

I'm probably not going to stay at any one place unless it is my main stopping spot for the evening. And I never know where that will be because I just stop when I'm tired. Or will these parts of the country be way to spread apart to easily find hotels while I'm traveling through the moutains? I'll have my GPS running at all times so I can just punch in hotel or gas station at any time and it will list near by ones for me.

Thanks, Ralph
Ralph, I would recommend having your night spots picked out ahead of time for some of the remote western spots. Hotels/campgrounds can be spread quite a ways apart and there's nothing worse than traveling several extra hours trying to find a hotel or campground with a spot for you. Been there, done that, didn't like it.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were taking this trip, and I am making a similar trip in early June, I would take this route. I've been through all these places and the roads are awesome, as is the scenery. This would allow you to hit Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Natural Bridges, Moki Dugway, Valley of the Gods, Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, Four Corners, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, and Arches. That's more parks/sites than the whole rest of your trip combined.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,14.238281&z=7

Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ultraandroadking
If I were taking this trip, and I am making a similar trip in early June, I would take this route. I've been through all these places and the roads are awesome, as is the scenery. This would allow you to hit Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Natural Bridges, Moki Dugway, Valley of the Gods, Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, Four Corners, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, and Arches. That's more parks/sites than the whole rest of your trip combined.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,14.238281&z=7
I'm up for that .. I'll integrate it into my route and probably have to make my trip a day or two longer.. no biggie.

Thanks UltraKing

Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

can't help with any of the sites all my riding has been on the east coast. But like a few have said camping/lodging is far and few in between at some places. I never make reservations want the flexiblity like you do but I do get a general idea of where I want to be and take that town and the one before and after and jot down a few numbers of hotels/ campgrounds makes for a long night when your tired and can't find lodging and you have to keep going, and you end up settling for a real seedy place. Some more food for thought try to time missing rush hour in the larger citys and also go thru the city for lodging so the next morning your not fighting traffic. Have fun, man am I jealous ride safe.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by bruce sg08
can't help with any of the sites all my riding has been on the east coast. But like a few have said camping/lodging is far and few in between at some places. I never make reservations want the flexiblity like you do but I do get a general idea of where I want to be and take that town and the one before and after and jot down a few numbers of hotels/ campgrounds makes for a long night when your tired and can't find lodging and you have to keep going, and you end up settling for a real seedy place. Some more food for thought try to time missing rush hour in the larger citys and also go thru the city for lodging so the next morning your not fighting traffic. Have fun, man am I jealous ride safe.

Usually I try to end my daily ride before it is dark.. at that point I just find hotels within my Nuvi.. get the numbers and call them from the side of the road. Or I just stop and get a room.. I've had a couple times that something was going on in a city that forced me to drive for another hour or two.. sometimes that is part of the fun of not really planning your lodging... it adds a little mystery to the trip! Actually I just like the freedom of not worrying about every last detail of a trip. If I worry about getting to a specific hotel at a specific time than I might as well be running a project at work... i'm sick of deadlines!

Ralph

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 PM
gregsworld
Tourer

Greetings from Jackson Hole. I can assure you that Beartooth Pass will not be an option for May. That road with definitely NOT be open when you pass through. As for Eastern Wyoming, you should see some mild temps. Judging by your route, you are on primarily flat land and won't need to worry about snow. I would make sure that you hit Devil's Tower. You will be very close to it and it is unforgetable. Have a safe trip. My group and I are doing 2500 miles from Jackson Hole to the Oregon and Cali coast, south to San Fran, and back via Tahoe and Reno. We are holding off until the first week of June however. Weather in the Northwest can really ruin a plan. We have had at least one full day of snow here in both of the last two years. Including a major snowstorm June 16th of 2007. Locals here talk about it snowing on the 4th of July in Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks a few years back. Just be prepared. And as your calendar appears, you won't be rushed. Have fun !!!
Greg

Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 AM
sgoharley
Tourer
Received 254 Likes on 84 Posts

when you leave the badlands in south dakota i would consider dropping down into nebraska, catch hiway 20 then hiway 12 across the top of the state to sioux city, ia. take hiway 20 across iowa to dubuque and then the river road along the mississippi river toward your stop in illinois. it will add a little time to your trip but you stay off the superslab and it is very scenic the whole way. on the river road stop in McGregor, and Ball Town (has the oldest bar west of the miss river) have fun great trip

Quick Reply: Planning 5,400+ mile trip.. I have questions