Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning 5,400+ mile trip.. I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Popeye1956
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5400 + Mile trip

Here is the info for Hill City.

http://www.lanterninn.com/

Devils Tower is also a day ride from Hill City.

The KOA idea is also a great one. I always try to
get one of the cabins.

This will be a great trip. I am jealous.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Default updated map and plans

Well originally I was going to do this trip alone, but now I've decided to fly my wife into El Paso Texas and I'll drive the bike. I'll pick her up and spend a week with her... I'll end up flying her back either near the Yellowstone national park or right after the badlands.

I've also decided to skip Denver Colorado all together. This keeps my trip about the same distance, but gives me what I think will be better scenery.

Here is the new map. I've also tried to stay closer to the coast when coming from New Orleans into Texas.

Keep on sending in ideas of places I should see. Thanks!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Another question for you folks. What tempetures can I expect in Wyoming and South Dakota during the 2nd and 3nd week of May? I'd hate it to be cold when I do this trip.

Thanks, Ralph

Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
nshrock
Cruiser

It could be 70 it could be 30.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
mikedetejas
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on road conditions, I'd sure take Beartooth Hwy and Chief Joseph Hwy from Yellowstone to Cody. And take clothes for all four seasons.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:13 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scarygt
Another question for you folks. What tempetures can I expect in Wyoming and South Dakota during the 2nd and 3nd week of May? I'd hate it to be cold when I do this trip.

Thanks, Ralph
Be flexible and willin to modify yer route...weather/roads could be questionable in May in several areas on yer map, such as the higher elevations in UT, and 'round Yellowstone. Even if ya have perfect weather and good road conditions, you WILL encounter cold weather that time of year in Yellowstone...hell, we experienced temps in the 30's and 40's on a couple of our early mornin starts there in August.

Looks like you'll be goin right thru Carlsbad...might wanna consider a stop at Carlsbad Caverns. I've never been, but would really like to see the bat flight...thousands of bats exit the cavern each evenin at dusk. I've heard it's a spectacular sight.

I see yer takin highway 14 outta Yellowstone, thru Cody, and on over to I-90. That's a nice route, and will take ya right thru the heart of Shell Canyon east of Cody, past Greybull. I've been thru Shell Canyon twice, and would go outta my way to do it again.

Also, might wanna check out Devil's Tower in WY...near the SD border...accordin to yer latest map, you'll be goin right near it.

Someone else mentioned it...but, KOA's are a decent place to stay. They have the kamping kabins, and are convenient 'cause they usually have a well stocked store on site. Quite a few of 'em also offer pancake breakfasts. We like 'em 'cause they all have fire rings and grills...nuttin like a few brews 'n brats 'round the fire after a good day's ride. Be sure to bring yer bedding and towel tho...not provided with the kabins.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that if ya go to koa.com, ya can order their campin atlas...contains maps with their locations highlighted, and contact info. It's not all that big, and easily fits in a saddlebag.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
mikedetejas
Road Captain

Don't come through Houston at rush hour whatever you do.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by scarygt
Question... When I leave Roswell NM.. should I go north to Albuquerque then head west to Flagstaff AZ... would that be more scenic than going through Tucson and phoenix then to flagstaff?

thanks folks, Ralph
You won't see much from Roswell to Albuquerque, but desert. once you get up around there and Santa Fe the Sandia Mountains are beautiful. I would suggest seeing Ruidoso and Capitan while you're in the Roswell area. Pm me if you need help once you're in Roswell. I'll be glad to assist on your trip in this area.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

You might want a day or two in Yellowstone. It's kind a set up like a figure 8 so you might over lap some sites. We've stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs and would exit the Park at Silver Gate. This will take you to 212 to Beartooth Pass (might not be open in May) or 212 to 296 (Chief Joseph Hyw to Cody) It's a little longer than 14 but worth the ride. Dress warm! East of Gillette you exit at Moorcroft (Hyw14 and 24)for Devils Tower. 24 will take you around and end up in Belle Fouche. Nice ride.

Last edited by Firebike32; 04-08-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Planning 5,400+ mile trip.. I have questions