Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning 5,400+ mile trip.. I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Got mine (second pair actually) from an outlet mall. Here's a store locator:
http://www.totes-isotoner.com/catego...ore+locator.do

I don't think they make the Motorcyclist models any longer, but they were difficult to 'slip on' anyway (I ripped my original pair). My new pair has zippers on the sides. No leakage, and trust me, I've tested them in some post hurricane rain storms..

EDIT: Just saw this: http://www.beltoutlet.com/mezitoboru...mpaign=froogle

I better order another couple sets. Hint: Get the size larger than your foot size.

Last edited by Hackd; 04-08-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:44 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would ride Roswell, Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Las Cruces, Hatch, Hillsboro, Silver City, Alpine Az, to Flagstaff. That way you will stay off the major slabs and will see some great country. If you have not see white sands monument, it is a nice thing to do. Enjoy the trip.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scarygt
I'm planning this trip for the majority of May..
Good for you! I live in southern Utah so I'll try to post a couple helpful things. I'm also heading back east to Oklahoma City on May 4 so there's a small bit of the way we may be passing each other.

To start with, BlackBastard pretty much hit some of the good roads, so take a look at those first. In May, the weather in Utah can be anything from down right beautiful to downright scary ... especially when you're hitting higher elevations. I'll get to more of that in a moment, but let me address one important thing first...

if you have suggestions for places to stay (on a budget) that would be great.
A little advertisement for my home town, Cedar City, UT. Right now there are several motels, such as Quality Inn, that are going for $38 to $45 a night. We've also got a couple non-chain spots that are in the low $32 +/- a nite range. Cedar City is about 35000 people and home to Southern Utah University (my employer) so there's plenty to do around here. Food is not bad either. Town is clean and biker friendly.

Okay ... self-promotion out of the way ... let's get back to some spots to see.

Dude ... you have to see Zion National Park. It's not that big, and you can drive through easily, but you really need to spend at least half a day there. Just remember, though, that you can not PARK actually inside the park. You can stop for a quick picture (lots of little turnouts) but you can't park and go hiking. To go hiking you'll need to park outside the park and take the shuttle into the different trailheads. It's the park's way of keeping the traffic impact to a minimal.

I'd suggest getting an Annual National Park Pass which will get you into all of the parks for 1 fee. Otherwise you'll be paying a lot of day fees, and that will cost you more in the long run. In Utah alone you'll have Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Arches that are worth the time, and a single pass for a motorcycle is $12 for each park. So spend the $80 on an annual pass if you plan to see 6 or more parks on this trip.

Remember, the north Rim of the Grand Canyon is also closed until mid-May, so check the weather and park guides before planning anything there. Zion and the rest are open.

Just to wet your whistle a bit about Utah ... here's a couple photos for you. This first one is just off Highway 89 around Marysville. The shot was actually taken from my ATV at about 10,000 feet in elevation (mid-August) but you can get a feel for the mountains.

Here's a shot on 89 as you get near Big Rock Candy Mountain (not far south of I-70) ...

And here's a shot of a camping area I like just off Highway 12 around Boulder, UT ...

And one of my favorite shots on Highway 14 (runs from Cedar City over Cedar Mountain to 89, which is the road you have on your map) ...

All kinds of other things to do here in Utah, so let me know what you're up to and I'll try to help point you in the right direction.

Finally, if you just want some good riding roads then consider the following ...

1. Highway 9 from Washington, UT (north of St. George off I-15) through Zion to Highway 89.

2. Highway 14 from Cedar City to Highway 89.

3. Highway 12 ... you have to do this one. From 89 east into Boulder and on to 24.

All 3 of these roads will jump you from one side of the major mountain range to the other, so you'll get lots of twisties and elevation changes. Remember, though, you can literally go from high desert (Hurricane) to Alpine forest in a 10 mile ride. The elevation can also mean a difference in temperatures of 20 or more degrees in the same distance. As an example, I rode from Cedar City this morning (Tuesday) to St. George and it rose 34 degrees (from 45 to 79) in just 28 miles, and this is still April.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:14 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah ... I forgot to mention ... we have bears, cougars (mountain lions) and some damn mean elk in Utah as well ...

And if that don't keep you honest while on the trail then consider climbing this bad boy ... Angel's Landing in Zion National Park ... I never experienced vertigo until I got half-way up this baby ...

Have fun planning the trip!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:26 AM
ZChan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a motorcycle museum in Iowa that's supposed to be really good. You'll have to look it up, I don't remember the name. If you ever saw Easy Rider, stay outta Alabama and Louisiana. Just kidding. Don't forget the bug wipes.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 AM
mikedetejas
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to think about KOA's for lodging.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
nshrock
Cruiser

There's a little place in Snook, TX between Houston and Austin that makes chicken fried bacon with a side of white gravy for dipping. I've seen it on the travel channel and the place looks like they have a good steak too.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hackd
Got mine (second pair actually) from an outlet mall. Here's a store locator:
http://www.totes-isotoner.com/catego...ore+locator.do

I don't think they make the Motorcyclist models any longer, but they were difficult to 'slip on' anyway (I ripped my original pair). My new pair has zippers on the sides. No leakage, and trust me, I've tested them in some post hurricane rain storms..

EDIT: Just saw this: http://www.beltoutlet.com/mezitoboru...mpaign=froogle

I better order another couple sets. Hint: Get the size larger than your foot size.
Great info... thanks Hackd!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 AM
scarygt
Road Master

Thank you Doc CJ and Desertclassic for your responses... and thank everyone so far. I'll need to read your posts more closely later when I'm done with work. You all have been giving me good information so far.. keep it coming.

Ralph

Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

here are some great pics from a fellow rider thru ut.he was on hwy 12&89. go to bot and click on pic links and part 2 for more. i am going to grand canyon and ut end of june . enjoy the pics and ride
http://www.cyclerides.com/ridephotos...2/utahday1.htm

Quick Reply: Planning 5,400+ mile trip.. I have questions