Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tennessee and the Dragon questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM
djpullen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tennessee and the Dragon questions

I'm planning on riding to Tennessee in 2 weeks. I'm getting some unexpected time off of work. I used to have a magazine that showed the Dragon and had 3 or 4 recommended loop rides from that area. I'm thinking it was either Road Runner or Hogtales but can't remember which and I can't find it any more. Do any of you guys remember what it was and is there a web link to that particular article?

I'm thinking about taking 4 days to do this. I'm in Indiana and I'm about 450 miles to the Dragon. I was planning on taking 1 day to get there, 1 day to get back and 2 days of solid riding while I'm down there. I won't mind putting a 4-500 miles on each day I'm down there riding. I've done 600 in one day but I know that these mountain roads will be a lot slower going so I don't think I'll get in as many miles. I've done some searching on the Cherahola Skyway and Tail of the Dragon. There are also several rides recommended on Openroadjourney.com. Which of these rides would be the best for that area? There's so much information that I'm not able to make much sense of it all. Thanks for any input.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the Cherahola, Foothills Parkway, Dragon, and perhaps some of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

A good days ride for me down there, starts at Moms, in Crossville, 50 miles to Tellico Plains, take the cherehola to us-29, stop in Robbinsville for lunch, ride the dragon North, and hit foothills at teh end of the dragon. Sometes I'll go from there on into Smokey Mountian National Park, and ride that down thru into Cherokee NC, then cut across back to 29 and take the cherahola back to Tellico then back to Crossville. Thats about a 400 mile trip and it takes ALL day.

Check out the Dragons WebSite, they have lots of otehr roads listed for riding in the area. Here is a link to the Roas and articles page.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/other_rides.html

Ride safe, have fun, and Enjoy

Old 04-06-2009, 10:53 AM
djpullen
Advanced

I'm thinking now that I'll ride down to the Dragon and up the Blue Ridge Parkway to at least Lexington Virginia and then head back to Indiana. Is there any definited rides I should make while I'm in these areas? I definitly want to do the 120 mile loop and the Hellbender loop. On the Tail of the Dragon website, they have these rides listed. Ruby ride, North Georgia Twisties, Smokie Mountain run, Asheville Backroads, etc.

I don't plan on doing a whole lot of stopping other than food and sleeping. If I keep getting off the bike to take pictures, I'll never get anywhere.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
SCFLST
Stage IV

Not sure when you plan on hitting the dragon, but I prefer it during the week (less traffic).

Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM
djpullen
Advanced

Yes, my hope is to leave on Monday, the 20th and do most of the scenic riding on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
djpullen
Advanced
Wink

I think the Dragon loop and this ride would be really nice. http://tailofthedragon.com/other_other_clayton.html

I think I may try to do these 2 rides on the first day after I get down there. After I get done with those two, I'll probably start making my way up to the Blue Ridge parkway. If there is anything else you think would be better, I'd appreciate it. I know I can't do it all. I could take more days but lodging costs and the old lady probably won't permit it. She has to work.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to the Dragon, Cherohala, Foothills, Blue Ridge Parkway, also try the Snake.

http://www.shadyvalleycountrystore.c...les/Page1.html

Lots of things to see - have fun, ride safe!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM
kmac89
Tourer

I'm reading the tread with great interest,heading down to ride the dragon in May,leaving NJ on the 16th and was planing to take highways to Harrisburg PA then take as many back roads thru WV.as possible, spend a overnite somewhere in WV. then make it into Piogen Forge TN. on the 17th where we stay until the 22nd.When we head out on the 22nd we plan on taking the Blue Ridge Pkwy to Front Royal VA to spend another overnite then head in to DC for Rolling Thunder.Any suggestion would be great

Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM
jimmyz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to love the roads down here in Tenn. I would recommend taking it easy on all these roads . They will bit ya. I enjoy Cherohala, hwy 64 next to the Ocoee River. The Snake was awsome!! Have Fun!! JimmyZ

Old 04-06-2009, 11:09 PM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Living in the area my favorites are Hwy 64 next to the Ocoee River & the Cherohala.
Almost any direction in this area is a great ride.

Quick Reply: Tennessee and the Dragon questions