Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tennessee and the Dragon questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
HDMedic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode the Dragon over Thanksgiving. It's true to take your time on those roads. The twisties are great and don't miss the Foothills. I've never heard of it but when I rode it, WOW some great views!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 AM
FL Roadking
2nd Gear
Default Mad Maps

I bought one of these mad maps for the smokey mountains last August. Lots of good info for bikers.

http://www.madmaps.com/roadtrips/products/view/38/

Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 AM
tugdrivinj
Cruiser

not much to add, but you probably won't make the greatest time if you're planning on heading for home on the blue ridge. it's tough to make a whole lot of miles. but otherwise have a great time the scenery is great and the riding is awesome

Old 04-07-2009, 04:48 AM
SCFLST
Stage IV

kmac89, if you can find your way over to 219 (I picked it up in a town called "Accident", MD). It runs down the entire state of WV and dropped me off somewher in VA. I can't say enough about that road.. it was AWESOME!!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 AM
kmac89
Tourer

Thanks Mike

Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Diddle
Stage IV
Default Tail of the Dragon

We have been going there for 3 yrs now. The first trip down there we picked up 129 out of Knoxville Tn. I can tell you there are no bad rides down there. What I can tell you is the police watch the dragon very close and because of the 318 curves on the dragon they have plenty of places to hide. You didnt say where you were staying, in a tent cabin motel. We found a camp site that treats everyone like family and the have bunk houses very clean bath rms and food that is out of this world. They dont serve lunch.Here is a link to the camp site http://kickstandlodge.com/ We'll be heading back down there in july. Hope you have as good a time as we did.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:49 AM
superprohero
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey DJ I'm from Indiana too. 47 miles north of Indy.
Like another post similar to this I agree with the dragon and Cherohala Pkwy as must see's.

Also while you're at it I would suggest this route to the Dragon; from Gatlinburg go across the smokies (441 South) to Cherokee. From Cherokee take 19 west to 28 west. Take 28 west and you will make it to the Fontana Dam which is a pretty damn(pun intended) neat place to see, not a small dam by any means. Not only that, continue on 28 west and it follows the river from fontana damn all the way until it T's. At this T intersection is the entrance to the Dragon. The famous gas station will be right there on your right as well as the entrance to the dragon.
I have to warn ya, the ride along the river is soo beautiful you have to really divide your attention between the scenery and the curves, like anywhere else in the area I guess.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 AM
kingCruiser
Cruiser

Deals Gap is in the middle of it all. At the Dragon and has the "Tree of Parts" with lots of plastic from wrecks on the Dragon. Grill and hotel right in it all. Just be sure NOT to run out of gas late in the day as the stations close at 8pm I think. Happened to the wife and I on our first run.
The Foothills parkway is awesome too, not as many curves, just open riding with little traffic. Watch out for the bears as my wife locked up her rear brake swerving around a 4 ft black bear. The ride around the Smokey Mtn NP is awesome. down the dragon, foothills parkway, through the park, over the mtn and around bryson city back up to Fontana dam. Good long days ride.
Eyes up on the dragon, or you will get bit. And watch out for the fools, they will kill ya.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 AM
djpullen
Advanced

I got to thinking about it and I'll probably ride out to Virginia and take the Blue Ridge Parkway south to Tennessee. It will be about 650 miles from my house to Waynesboro, VA. I'd rather get the huge chunk of asphalt out of the way on the first day instead of having to do it on the last day. I'll beat it out in the first day and then get up at the butt crack of dawn hopefully on the second day and make as many miles as possible on the Parkway. Hopefully I can at least make Ashville and start from there on the 3rd day. I can then spend all day on the 3rd day riding around the Dragon. I probably will try to head back up 441 at Cherokee. Is that a nice view going north into Tennessee? Thanks for all of your advice.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
v2in
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out www.kickstandlodge.com. They have some good maps for rides in that area. It's also a GREAT place to stay. Enjoy your time off.

Quick Reply: Tennessee and the Dragon questions