Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

PA to Phoenix by way of Lubbock

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:06 PM
kupitz
Cruiser

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default PA to Phoenix by way of Lubbock

The wife and I are planning a trip to Lubbock first then on to Phoenix this summer. We're leaving from Amish country on the 11th of June and planning for 4 days to Lubbock, then 2 days to Phoenix after a 2-3 day stay in Lubbock. We will then fly home from Phoenix and ship the bike back.
I have tons of questions, but the bascic ones are?
Anyone else done a similar path? What route did you take, how long did it take, how many miles in a day, etc.
What can I expect to pay to ship the scoot home? Any experiences, good or bad with this?
Any recommended stops along the way, whether they be food, scenery, biker friendly establishments, etc.

Let me hear your experiences.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

This isn't going to be much help... But:

It took me (and my daughter) two days in an automobile to get to Oklahoma City from SE, Michigan (1000 miles approx). But it was all 70+ mph other than that. We left at around 8am and I stopped at 7pm the first night (Rolla, MO). I made OKC around 5pm on the second day (There was an 'unscheduled' stop in Fort Leonard Wood, MO, of about three hours to get the thermostat replaced.

It took (wife and daughter) another 7 hours (give or take) to go from OKC to Midland/Odessa, TX. Which is about 90 miles or so south of LUB. That is not a ride you want to make at night (according to my wife anyway).

So, four days from PA to LUB (1700 +or- miles or around 425 per day - Google shows 26 hours non-stop all interstates from HAR) would not leave a lot of time for anything 'interesting' along the way. And, as you know: Interstates really aren't all that interesting. Rather a means to an end.

What I would do, is figure where that 425 miles (or so) each day is going to put you and look for 'interesting' things to do there.

There are neat things to do in DAY (From Lancaster 473 miles: Air Force Musem-don't know when it closes), STL (368 miles form DAY: the Arch), and OKC (511 miles from STL: Rivertown).